June's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

May 08, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, bookclub-childrens, alternative-world
Recommended for: Fantasy readers
Read from February 01 to 21, 2013, read count: 4

I was skeptical about this one when I first heard about it. A sympathetic cockroach? Right! Well, I'm a sucker. I cried for it. 03

I just had a blast reading it to my son. Though he had to read the two pages where the cockroach died, because I cried again. He thought Boots was awesome. 09

Re-reading for my Children's Book Club. They seemed taken with the idea of a book that made me cry for a cockroach. Finding some good discussion points. Wondering about activities.

"Gregor nodded. He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in." p.146

"Do you think something deserves to die if it's not strong?" p. 158

"Just as he steeled himself against replying, Gregor thought of the last two years, seven months, and, was it fifteen days now? There were so many things he wished he had said to his dad when he'd had the chance." p. 214

"Gregor thought this was the saddest thing anyone had ever said to him. p. 231

Question how many cried for Tick? "Temp, whose antennas had drooped down over his head, reached out and touched Gregor with a feeler. "Thank you. To weep when Tick has lost time.""

Bookclub: Everyone drew their impression of Underland. The pictures led into a discussion of our favorite characters which included Boots (friendly, natural ambassador...), Luxa (adventurous), Gregor (main character, likeable...), Ripred (powerful, awesome fighter, complicated), Ares (like Ripred sides against natural ally because he realizes he/they are wrong), Vikus (liked was nurturer, wise...) We discussed why we would have or wouldn't have gone on the quest and what we would have brought (there was some wondering where the questors went to the bathroom). Since this is a book club books were mentioned as something to bring along. Spinners were also mentioned as really nice to have for catch clothes, bandages... All of our younger readers said they would have accepted the sword from Vikus. At the end a nice discussion was also started comparing Gregor and Percy (Lightning Thief). There was some variation on the rating of Gregor the Overlander. We had a 6, a 9/10, a 10 and two 10+. 1/10/13

Just finished reading this with my youngest and have been told to get Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane. He also asked if we could read during the day, instead of just before bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I really liked Gregor the Overlander when I read it awhile back (pre-goodreads), but then I couldn't get into book 2 for some reason. I've been meaning to go back and try them again, though, since I enjoyed Hunger Games so much.

Just out of curiosity--how old is your son?

June I read it to my 11-year-old since Gregor is 11.

June I'm going to get Prophecy of the Bane today and we will see if he enjoys it as much.

message 4: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin That 10 to 13 age is such a great age for fantasy books!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Christopher, Jeff and I read all these books as they came out. They are terrific! Sometimes a little dark - I think by 4th or 5th grade they could handle the whole series - depends on the sensitivity of your child.

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan I need to find time (RIIGGHT!) to go back and read this series again. It was good. If I recall correctly, I liked the Gregor series better than The Hunger Games but they are really for different ages groups so it isn't too fair to compare them.

June It isn't as harsh to start and I think has a bit more humor. (As I said above, my son found Boots awesome.)

message 8: by Joan (new)

Joan So good for a mixed book club. I'll remember!

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan What do you do for your book club? Do you start by reading the first chapter aloud? Or have the kids take turns by paragraph reading the first chapter aloud? I was thinking of having it once a month. Is that too long a period? Every week? Every other week? I was fascinated to see what you have done for this book. I do plan on stealing most of the ideas, just so you know! In many ways I'd prefer every week for the consistency of it, but is that too hard on the kids? How much is reasonable to expect them to read in a week for example?

message 10: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June I inherited a parent/child Bookclub. They read the whole book before the meeting. We have had Reader's Theatre, quess the speaker, matching games... Since I have been overwhelmed by school visits, they parents are pretty much leading the bookclub itself and I have just been getting the books, and scheduling the meetings, making some book suggestions...

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan I'm not sure I'd want to do a parent/child bookclub. Are the kids willing to speak up for what they want to read, and what they really think of a book?

message 12: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June I usually just have the children vote on the books and they seem to have no problem speaking up. The parents have been quite creative since they have stepped up. We had a matching of gods and goddesses game for Lightning Thief, guess the character game for Holes. I think the parents have been surprised by the insight of the children. Just last night a parent was commenting on the childrens' comparison of Gregor and Percy. I have been too.

message 13: by Joan (new)

Joan Interesting. Do you give the kids a list of book titles to choose from? Otherwise I would think you'd end up with nothing but Wimpy Kid, etc.

message 14: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June Joan wrote: "Interesting. Do you give the kids a list of book titles to choose from? Otherwise I would think you'd end up with nothing but Wimpy Kid, etc."

I usually bring 3-4 titles and do mini booktalks. Once I had the children bring 1-2 titles each, however, the parents didn't like this. They thought that children would feel bad if their book wasn't picked. Though two children brought more last time and we chose one of theirs. (Teacher's Funeral by Peck)

message 15: by Joan (new)

Joan I like that idea! Mini booktalks of 3-4 titles! Gregor will be in that group. Is Harry Potter known by everyone these days, or could it still be used? I'll have to wander the shelves and do some looking. The latest is that we are moving in early May and opening perhaps mid July. Not any later since the school opens in September and the teachers need access to the building before opening. Although it occurs to me to wonder why they can't get at the school area, with a separate entrance even if we aren't there? I suspect that is one of the questions I'm not supposed to ask at work....

I was thinking of having the club meet on Wednesday afternoons when the local schools close down to give the staff time to do things. So that would seem to eliminate adults. Since I work M-F I am reluctant to do Saturdays.

elissa Sounds like a great book club discussion, June! :)

message 17: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June It is a great group. It meets usually the first Thursday of the month at 7 PM.

Samantha Omigish!!!! I soooooooooooo want to read the prophecy of bane too!!!