Cathy's Reviews > Ghost Story

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

Sep 16, 09

Read in September, 2009

I reread Ghost Story every decade or so -- it never fails to satisfy. It's like a compendium of every enjoyable horror convention: fearless monster hunters, shapeshifters, deadly illusions, deserted houses full of surprises, horrible secrets from the past, cannibals, ghosts, tales told around the fire that come true ... and it's all great fun and pretty creepy.

To my great disappointment, I haven't liked anything else I've read by Straub at all -- but this book is a delight, from the profoundly disturbing opening through to the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe monster hunters, shapeshifters, deadly illusions, deserted houses full of surprises, horrible secrets from the past, cannibals, ghosts, tales told around the fire that come true

I like all of those things. Looks like I'll have to give Straub another try, I've never really read anything by him that I've enjoyed, but if you haven't either then this might be the book for me.

Stephen I loved Ghost Story. It's the only Straub I like too. It was also made into a movie, but never, ever can you capture in a movie what reading those spooky pages can evoke.