Kate's Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Sep 02, 09

bookshelves: 3genre-fantasy, 1age-middle-school, 1age-junior-high, 3genre-romance
Read in September, 2009

Galen is a soldier on his way home from war when he runs across an old beggar woman on the side of the road. He share his food and wine with her and gives her a scarf he knitted himself to keep her warm. The old woman is grateful and gives Galen three gifts, a cloak of invisibility, and two skeins of yarn to protect him. Galen leaves the old woman on the road and travels to Bruch where is uncle works as the King's gardener, to beg for a job.
Galen thinks working as a gardner on the King's grounds will be uneventful until he meets princess Rose (the oldest of 12 princess) and acidentally knocks her into a fountain. From that moment on all Galen can think about is the beautiful princess, Rose. So when he hears rumours about the princess wearing out their dancing shoes each night without leaving their rooms, Galen sets out to find out the truth and discovers and curse far deeper than he expected.
I have always loved the story of the 12 dancing princesses, ever since I was little. So I was excited to read this retelling and didn't have very high expectations, which was good as the plot was very contrived and the characters rather underdeveloped. But actually what distracted me the most was the writing style which I just couldn't get into (I couldn't stand how they grouped the sisters into sets and kept mentioning "the younger set" and "the older set"). So an OK story with mediocre writing, but not an entire waste of time if you like fairy tales retold.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.