Gloria Bernal's Reviews > The Parting Glass

The Parting Glass by Emilie Richards

Mar 13, 2010

Read in September, 2009

In this sequel to Whiskey Island, we once again get drawn in to the lives of the Donaghue sisters, Megan, Casey and Peggy. This opens with the marriage of Megan to the former priest Nick. When an earthquake rattles everyone at their wedding in the saloon that the family runs, an old tunnel is discovered and provides an escape route for their guests. Apparently, this tunnel was used for bootlegging back in the day of their Irish ancestors. Here begins two stories, the one of the girls in present day and their relationships, and the story of their ancestors as told by discovered letters, as well as an old Irish Aunt in Ireland that Peggy goes to visit, and the occasional lucid moments that their father Rooney can add to the puzzle pieces.

It was captivating, and I hated to see it end... this is a two-book series, and I hated for it to end. "The Parting Glass" is the name of a traditional Irish ballad for singing at the end of an evening, a gathering or an event. One of Ireland's most popular, it is documented as far back as the 1770's. Ms Richards does such a good job of combining historical facts in with her fictional characters and keep us all wanting more. I am becoming a big fan of her works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Parting Glass.

08/31/2009 page 120
23.08% "I love the characters and the setting in this one is Ireland"