Becky's Reviews > Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality

Sexing the Body by Anne Fausto-Sterling

Jul 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ismsfeminsocialmore, nonfiction
Read in March, 2007

Just got a like-new copy at housing works. So far I understand that it deals with the construction of gender, sex and sexuality. Fausto-Sterling is, by training and practice, a biologist. This unlikely mixture creates an illuminating perspective.

Side note: Anne-Fausto Sterling tries to break the conception that feminists have no sense of humor by including amazing cartoons, diagrams and pictures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sexing the Body.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-5 of 5) </span> <span class="smallText">(5 new)</span>

message 1: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Kate She's also a professor at Brown! It's pretty much a breakdown of her Developmental Systems Theory, which she explained to me as how environment impacts the plastic brain and constantly reforms neural pathways. I think you'll love it.

message 2: by Becky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becky Sexing the body is a breakdown of her Developmental Systems Theory? You may have to explain that theory to me in person...

I'm so glad we're using goodreads to communicate fo real

message 3: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

Kate Indeed ;)

message 4: by Stef (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:02AM) (new)

Stef having tried to read the book several times, i must say that it has the sexiest cover and the most painful font of most any book i've read.

good luck!

message 5: by Becky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becky stef, agreed on the very sexy cover, but i didn't find it overly hard to read. so said i didn't get to see you (except from afar) while i was in providence.