Fani's Reviews > The Smoke Thief

The Smoke Thief by Shana Abe

I liked this book very much, but I did not love it as many others have. My main problems were:
1. The story seemed to drag a little around the middle with the hero and heroine saying the same lines over and over for way too long. Luckily, it soon picked up again.
2. The hero was not very likable; he did not come as trully sympathetic to the heroine.
3. The heroine distrusted him until the very end: that did not make for a plausible HEA for me.
4. The building of the 'drakon' world and the mystery overshadowed the romance, IMO.

I liked the fast pace, Abe's writing style, the heroine's backbone and determination and the whole 'drakon' world; I just felt the romance lacked. However, I'm on my way to order the second book in the series; the excerpt in the end of TST, made me believe the hero of this one to be much more interesting than Kit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Smoke Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

BJ Rose I also like the Drakon world that Abe created, and Kit was very much a controlling jerk (in how many historical romances have we seen that?!)

I think you'll really like Zane in The Dream Thief

Beanbag Love I actually liked Kit. LOL.

I think the Drakon world is great. I have read the first three but I haven't gotten the fourth one yet. I plan to, though.

Great review, Fani. :D

BJ Rose I don't have the 4th one yet, either - it's still only available in hardcover.

Beanbag Love BJ Rose wrote: "I don't have the 4th one yet, either - it's still only available in hardcover. "

I'll probably get it on Kindle if the price is right. I won't buy it in hardcover, either. I'm in no rush, though. Plenty of stuff on my TBR. ;^)

Fani Thank you both. I do have high hopes for Zane, as I'm usually up for a hero who tries to remain cold and unemotional where the heroine is concerned and fails:) Zane seems like such a guy. I didn't actually dislike Kit, I kind of understood why he acted the way he did. I'm just not fond of him, and I'm not sure he really understood how crappy Rue's -and those underpriviledged like her (like Zane or the other runner)- childhood was and how that shaped their characters and lives.

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Abe writes beautifully. I recently read The Sweetest Dark and it was nicely done. Sadly, it doesn't release until April. I think that each book in this series can stand alone and that is a definite plus because I sometimes read books out of order.

Fani I absolutely adored The Dream Thief AH; I've actually read it twice. The sweetest dark sounds very intriguing indeed, I'll check it out!

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I have to get to the rest of the books in this series. I keep finding them at garage and library sales.

Fani I loved the second one AH, not everyone did though. And the 3rd though not bad -the woman can write!- was not great either. I've stopped there myself but I heard it gets better later.