Fani's Reviews > Lover Eternal

Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward

I can clearly see why so many readers love this and yet, this went downhill for me. I disliked Mary for a big part of the book, because she kept pushing Rhage back and did so in a very rude way I might add. But most of all, this was too sweet and sappy for me. All women like to hear -and read- sweet words and declarations of undying love, but there is no way I can believe a hardened warrior talking like that. Add to that, all those 'brother' and 'shitkickers' staff, and you can see why I was laughing for the most part of what should have been an angsty read. But I will read Zsadist's book; he and Butch seem the most interesting characters so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Eternal.

05/12/2010 page 220
49.89% "As far as I can see, I'm the first reader EVER to like this less than the first one:)"
05/12/2010 page 300
68.03% "This book is so NOT for me, though I can see why so many love it. It's just too sweet for my tastes"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Corrine Definitely not! Of the first three (the only ones worth reading, IMHO) this is by far the weakest.

Fani I hope this is the case! I really have a hard time liking Mary, despite all her suffering and illness. I was thinking that if the others are like this, this series is not for me after all.

Colette I'm not very far in, and I already know who the guy is who can't speak, but who can hear. This doesn't bode well, but I'm holding out hope.

Fani Colette wrote: "I'm not very far in, and I already know who the guy is who can't speak, but who can hear. This doesn't bode well, but I'm holding out hope."

I think I've figured that out as well. What do you think of the book so far Colette?

Dina Oh no, Fani, we disagree again! We did so well with Castles, LOL. Anyway, I don't love this book/series as many readers do, but I liked the 1st 4 books... Well, the 1st one was just OK, but the following 3 were good. I agree that the dialogues in these books are OTT and unbelievable, but I just go along with the flow. It's Romancelandia, after all. ;)

Fani Dina wrote: "Oh no, Fani, we disagree again! We did so well with Castles, LOL. Anyway, I don't love this book/series as many readers do, but I liked the 1st 4 books... Well, the 1st one was just O..."

To be honest, I expected us to disagree with Castles -for me to like it means it wasn't usual Garwood style- but this one caught me out of the blue. So many readers love it, that I was expecting to at least like it a lot. But I'm not one for sweet romances as you know, Devil in winter being a rare exception. And after Dark Lover, which was not as sappy as this and I liked it a lot, I wasn't expecting this style of writing. At least I'm prepared now for the rest, but I still have high hopes for Zsadist's book. Please tell me it's not like this one!!!

Dina Z's book has some sigh-worthy moments but it's definitely not sweet. The passages in italic made me cringe in horror. It's my favorite book in the series so far, but don't let yourself be wary of it because of that. It isn't Garwood, LOL.

Fani Thanks Dina:) I look forward to it!

Fani Zosia wrote: "Remember that Mary was sick and dying and only knew him for a few days. I'm glad she didn't just throw herself at him like Beth and Bella did to their men - it made them look pathetic.

Mary sudd..."

Zosia, as I said in my review I disliked Mary but that wasn't the only way I didn't like the book. Rhage's purple words and declarations of love in every other page were perhaps more disturbing to me than Mary's behavior, which you have to admit was somewhat rude initially. But Mary really p*ssed me off when Rhage told her that he wanted to take care for her while she was ill and she turns to him and asks 'why?'. Why? The man has told her a thousand times till then that he loves, he shows it to her every way he can and all she has to say is 'WHY?' It was as if she was already dead to the world for me, as if she lived in a cocoon and didn't care for anyone's feelings except her own. I can't give her any slack for that. She could refuse his offer because it would embarass her to appear weak and ugly to him; or because she didn't want him to take such a burden. But no, she was actually surprised that he wanted to take care of her and that made me believe she didn't know him at all and never would.

So Mary is not a heroine I can sympathize with, I'm sorry. And I shudder at the thought that the way they speak turns even worse in the next books:)