E.J.'s Reviews > A Gate at the Stairs

1937588
Feb 05, 10

Recommended for: an airhead
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

Try angsty, "atmospheric", and utterly self-indulgent, never mind the fact that it's too obvious that her editor must be illiterate. Either that or she knows someone or is related to someone to get this kind of bottom-of-the-pit novel published by a major publishing house.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gate at the Stairs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.J. (new) - rated it 1 star

E.J. I agree with you about reviewers lacking guts to call it as they really see (read) it. I completely, emphatically agree with your perspective on the toadying and collusion I see with regard to "who's who" and whose work gets touted as having literary merit.

For example, I've been following Narrative Magazine since its inception, and, by and large, the fiction they publish is more and more "same ol'" rambling, palaverous, stream-of-consciousness, angsty, self-indulgent tripe. Where's the story? Ah...there isn't one.

If you want details about what I think about A Gate at the Stairs, go to TheDeepening.com and read the full version there. http://www.thedeepening.com/world-of-...

Thanks for commenting, btw. I'll keep you in sight.

message 2: by E.J. (new) - rated it 1 star

E.J. That link goes to a scam/malware site. Your bad.

Arthur Are there comments missing from this particular discussion?

message 4: by E.J. (new) - rated it 1 star

E.J. Yes. A now removed member turned out to be someone who was proliferating malware site links. I don't remember his handle.

Darlene Sounds like some jealousy here.

Fred Daly I don't get the vitriol. The book's not to your taste, okay. To my mind, it's better than anything on your favorites list.

Sassy Based on what? Give one example of a failure of editing in this book. This book is the opposite of angst and self-indulgent. It is spare and detached.