The Holy Terror's Reviews > An Artificial Night

Aug 30, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fairies, urban-fantasy, owned, bought-09-10, 2011
Read from January 02 to 10, 2011

Holy repetition, Batman! I'm beyond frustrated with this series. On one hand I love the world and the characters. Her ideas are fantastic, but the way the characters go round and around and back again is ridiculous. How many times can Toby make a trek to the same place? How many times can she almost die? How many times does she have to say she's NOT A HERO? How many times do we have to be told that you're not supposed to say, "thank you," to the fae? Apparently over and over and OVER AGAIN.

So the plot is; someone is stealing children and Toby has to find out who and stop them. This is basically the whole book. There's little more that goes on in between Toby trying to rescue the kids and not getting herself or her friends killed. This unfortunately brings me back to my feelings on the second novel; her books are bloated and full of inconsequential scenes. Tybalt is underused. Toby gets hurt a lot. It's basically the same thing over and over ad nauseum. What was worse this time were the numerous visits with Lily, Luna, the Luidaeg, and Blind Michael. So instead of Toby running around the same building back and forth like in the last book, she's running from knowe to knowe over and over again. I lost track of how many times she visited The Luidaeg, it was kind of ridiculous. Toby's life is basically lather, rinse, repeat and it's so disappointing.

The bright side to this story? Toby didn't have to solve anything. She's terrible at following clues and being a detective so at least we were saved from her bumbling around. We found answers to some of the mysteries, but not because Toby was looking for them.

I love the world McGuire has created. I like Toby, even though she can be dumb sometimes. I haven't given up on this series yet, mostly because there are still questions that I want answers to, but I would never be able to recommend this series to anyone and feel good about it.

Check out my reviews for the two books before this one: Rosemary and Rue and A Local Habitation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Artificial Night.

01/02/2011 page 0
01/03/2011 page 24
7.0% "I find it hard to appreciate someone telling Toby she's going to die soon when there's a fourth book coming out." 15 comments
01/06/2011 page 76
21.0% "It took you this long to figure out who the moon is? Man, Toby, you are DENSE." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

The Holy Terror I know I said I wasn't going to buy this right when it came out, but I found it early and I had a 40% off coupon today. Even if it sucks like the previous one, I'm out less than $5.

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon I'll let you know. If we don't start Blameless, this one is next in the queue

Ariana ooooo!

Ariana Dang, I just bought a whole lotta books last night too! My wallets going to cry this week :P

The Holy Terror Well, you haven't read the second one yet, so you could always wait to buy this one!

Ariana I don't tend to do things by halves. Unfortunately. Was it you that really likes Unholy ghosts?

Ariana Well dang.

Oh well, let us know what you think of this book!! :D

The Holy Terror Will do.

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user That was Laura, Ariana! :D

Ariana I quite liked this book, the second one was rubbish though, and I definately agree that Tybalt is underused. If there's a sexy man in the book then we want to read about him!

I wonder if Laura will read this, I ended up reading all the Unholy Ghosts series too O_o

The Flooze Last line missing the word "about"...or something like.

Everyone seems to be liking that Unholy Ghosts series. Hrmz.

Did anyone read the intro chapter for the next Toby book?

The Holy Terror Ahh, thanks. It was late. I didn't read the intro, didn't really feel like it. Should I bother?

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon It was cute.

I do agree with you yet again but like you said, not done with the series because there's some much more to be answered.

I also have not recommended this to anyone (or at least I don't think so).

Tybalt is soo very underused (weren't they supposed to sort of work together?)

Although, the part where she starts crying/freaking out because he might be dead was a good scene.

I think the problem with these books is that they are comprised of really good - decent scenes and then meshed together in hopes of making a book.

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user Ariana wrote: "I quite liked this book, the second one was rubbish though, and I definately agree that Tybalt is underused. If there's a sexy man in the book then we want to read about him!

I wonder if Laura wi..."

You read Unholy Ghosts too?! Did you like them?

The Flooze "Decent scenes meshed together..." is a good way of putting it, CJ.

Shannon, I finished the intro for the next and thought, "Dammit. She better not be talking about Tybalt!" That got me suckered in again...

Ariana new_user wrote: You read Unholy Ghosts too?! Did you like them?

Ariana The Holy Terror wrote: "Ahh, thanks. It was late. I didn't read the intro, didn't really feel like it. Should I bother?"

Did you bother? Is it a good thing? It doesn't sound like a good thing...

Ariana And while I'm doing multiple posts, McGuire said that books 4 & 5 have been bought so we can expect at least 2 more books.

The Holy Terror Ariana wrote: "The Holy Terror wrote: "Ahh, thanks. It was late. I didn't read the intro, didn't really feel like it. Should I bother?"

Did you bother? Is it a good thing? It doesn't sound like a good thing..."

I'll read it when I get home from work tonight.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user Ariana wrote: "new_user wrote: You read Unholy Ghosts too?! Did you like them?

Yeah, I was wondering if I would have a problem with that... I guess we'll see.

The Holy Terror Ariana wrote: "new_user wrote: You read Unholy Ghosts too?! Did you like them?

They were alright, I had to take some time getting my head wrapped around the fact that the main character is a drug addict and needs to pop pills routinely O_o "

Ariana The Holy Terror wrote: Ugh, really? I might not be able to get through it. Addiction doesn't make sense to me so I have a hard time sympathizing. ."

Yeah, so did I. I'd read them, but I wouldn't buy them.

The Holy Terror I already bought the first one. -_-

Ariana My bad.

If it makes you feel better, I bought all 3 at once, and you may like them!

Wicked Incognito Now I've been wondering about this series. Now I still don't know if I want to read it. Sounds frustrating.

The Holy Terror It's a weird one. I think you'd be equally frustrated with it though. It has so much wasted potential, and that's what really hurts.

Chris I think you're right re: not being able to recommend these books (at least so far) without feeling like I've duped my friends.