Kristin's Reviews > No Angel

No Angel by Penny Vincenzi

F 50x66
Sep 28, 07

bookshelves: currently-reading
Recommended for: someone wishing to be in a coma
Read in August, 2007

This is what I picked up thinking, "Hey, my life isn't boring enough. I need some pallidly romantic, poorly researched, family-saga historical fiction, with love scenes written by someone with no limbic system.[http://www.stanford.edu/.../braintut/...]" That is exactly what I got. I have tried to use this mundane-at-best tome as a sleep aid on multiple occasions, only to be jerked out of a semi-dozing state by Vincenzi clumsily reminding her readers of the time line of the plot. This has caused me to want to get out of bed and launch the book out of the bedroom window.

Examples of such offenses:

Main characters are involved in women's suffrage in the UK

Female Protagonist 1 participates in a women's charity league

Female protagonist 2 (spinster) is dating a socialist and frequently rendezvous with him at dark-alley socialist gatherings.

FP1 illegally adopts daughter of her charity league client

They all catch influenza

FP1 and her husband score tickets for the maiden voyage of the Titanic, but they are saved from having to actually board the doomed vessel by the good luck of the adopted daughter's near death influenza experience.

FP1 & FP2 sig-others join the war.

FP2 finds out she's going to have a socialist baby.

Socialist baby-daddy is gassed to death in France

Vogue magazine is introduced, and FP1 & FP2 casually discuss it.

FP1 expresses that she'd like to give up wearing her restrictive corset.

****
I would like to tell you that the author rallies at some point and delivers a gripping scene of catharsis, but I just don't see it happening.

I feel victimized by this book.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Angel.

message 1: by Mila (new) - rated it 1 star