Shauber1's Reviews > There are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing Up in the Other America

There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

U 50x66
Aug 30, 09

Read in August, 2009

Every white person in Chicago needs to read this book. I have always known that our city is one of the most segregated big cities in America, and Kotlowitz's nonfiction account of two boys' lives in the projects makes it clear just how different the lives of black Chicago youth can be from the lives of white Chicago youth. This book will raise anyone's level of awareness about just how racist and unfair life is in America, and it does so without *trying* to do that. The book exists to tell the boys' story, and it's effect is that of a well-written case study: It reveals larger truths about our city, the world, and humanity. Read it and become a better human being for the knowledge it will impart.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There are No Children Here.

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike I might read this, but not to become a better person. For that I have special pills made from Dr. Phil's teeth and hair.

message 2: by Fultzy (new)

Fultzy Just curious..what book do you think all the black people in Chicago should read?