K.'s Reviews > The Lost World: Being an Account of the Recent Amazing Adventures of Professor E. Challenger

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: boy-s-bookshelf
Read in August, 2009

Very fun little book by Doyle--sans Sherlock. Gave to 10 yr old a while back, he didn't get into it. I couldn't understand until I read it! The first chapter is all the young hero trying to woo his woman with her telling him she just can't bring herself to marry a man who's not famous. Well, what 10 yo cares about that kind of stuff! I told him to try again and skip the first chapter:)

The silly woman does say something good though:

"...Chances are all around you. It is the mark of the kind of man I mean that he makes his own chances. You can't hold him back. . . .There are heroisms all round us waiting to be done. It's for men to do them and for women to reserve their love as a reward for such men." Okay, ha ha. Anyway, the beginning was a nice sentiment.

And so our young hero sets off. This books is a very good example of the kind of literature abounding when "science" was so the thing--they believed they had really hit the apex of civilization and knowledge and everything not explainable by science was mere fancy and superstition. So, not much has changed.

However, the male characters were brave, loyal, smart and courageous. And the woman? She was married when he got home. To a lawyer's clerk. So much for that:)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost World.