Meaghan's Reviews > I Am the Messenger

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Mar 07, 09

bookshelves: childrens-young-adult-fiction
Recommended for: Zusak fans and people who like funny books
Read in January, 2007

This book was hilarious -- it had one of the funniest bank robberies in the history of literature and I was often literally falling out of my chair laughing. The suspense was also well-done -- I was dying to find out who The Messenger was. The only thing I didn't like about the story was the ending. It almost ruined the whole book for me, in fact. I won't give it away except to say this: it was a cop-out. Very clever, a wonderful little literary conceit, but still a cop-out. It pissed me off. If it wasn't for the last chapter I'd enthusiastically recommend this book to everyone I know. As it is, I'm uncertain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Messenger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin Love your review--especially about the ending warning. Added it to my list!

message 2: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan It's already on my to-read list. I did just move it up, despite your opinion about the ending and despite the fact that I suspect I'll agree with you about it. Too bad.

Brandy This is exactly what I got from this book.

Meaghan Bee wrote: "This is exactly what I got from this book."

Great minds think alike. :-)

Michelle I agree completely.

message 6: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Personally, I think it would've been more of a cop-out if the messenger was Ed's father. As it was, i thought the ending was brilliant.

Anne I thought it was a brilliant ending. I will think about this book for awhile.

Julie Hampel-heinsohn I still don't even get the ending :) I have to re read it now!

Meaghan Markus Zusak himself, the author, was the "young man" who appeared at the end of the book. Get it now?

Julie Hampel-heinsohn After a re read, it hit me.... Don't know how I feel about it...either a cop out or creative........

Meaghan Or both.

Julie Hampel-heinsohn A creative cop-out.. Like it !!