Gaby's Reviews > Queen Vernita Visits the Blue Ice Mountains

Queen Vernita Visits the Blue Ice Mountains by Dawn Menge

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: childrens-books, bostick
Read in August, 2009

Queen Vernita is the active and outgoing leader of the Land of Quails with the Blue Ice Mountains. Queen Vernita enjoys spending time with children and invites 12 guests. Each guest stays for a full month and Queen Vernita takes the child to explore and learn about a different part of the world. While describing the adventures for the month, the book teaches children about the days in each month and the concept of the leap year.

Here's a summary of the things that Queen Vernita covers in the 12 visits:

January - the different types of crabs, their exoskeletons, lifespans, and physical characteristics.

February - sea otters, their fur and physical characteristics and their lifestyle.

March - learning how glaciers are made, how they get their blue color, the different types of glaciers, and their relationship to icebergs.

April - different wild flowers like monkshood, salmonberry, bunchberries, forget-me-nots, and irises.

May - different types of whales and how they breathe.

June - bald eagles, their characteristics and their skill in the air.

July - grizzly bears, polar bears, black bears, and glacier bears.

August - the animals, trees, and environment of a rain forest.

September - Aurora Borealis and its magnificent lights.

October - harbor seals, bearded seals, ice seals, spotted seals, ringed seals, and ribbon seals.

November - starfish, rockfish, sponges, sea whips, sea anemones, and tree coral in the ocean.

December - the North Pole, ringed seals, polar bears, artic foxes, artic birds and even an elf from Santa's workshop.

The drawings are colorful and the book is full of facts. I learned some things through this book, but it wasn't for me. I prefer children's stories with fantastic stories. I can see how it would be a fun book for curious children, parents, and teachers. The book is most definitely educational!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Vernita Visits the Blue Ice Mountains.