Mel's Reviews > Dates From Hell

Dates From Hell by Kim Harrison

Jan 30, 10

bookshelves: short-stories-anthologies, pnr
Read in September, 2009

Dates from Hell is an anthology with 4 short stories. Frankly, only the Kim Harrison and Kelly Armstrong story are worth buying the book. I'll give a short review of them all:

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison 4 stars

Ivy Tamwood is an investigator for Inderland Services and -however hard she tries- she can't escape her own nature or vampire politics.
This is a story about Ivy and told from Ivy's POV. It's a good way to better get to know the ever mysterious Ivy Tamwood, although after finishing the story I can't say I'm all the wiser.
The story can’t be called PNR. It's a sad story about murder, torture and love.
The story is well written but quite 'heavy' and it's packed with information, so I can't imagine it being interesting for people who haven't read the Hollows series.
Still: it was really well written and I' liked seeing the Hollows world through different eyes than Rachel's. And dare I say: Kisten was cuter with Ivy.

The Claire Switch Project by Lynsay Sands 1 star

Claire gets hit by a laser beam which turns her into a shape shifter. She uses her powers to turn her high school reunion into a double date fiasco.
Oh. My. God. This was so terrible I couldn't even finish it. And I always finish everything however much I hate it!
It felt like it was written by a 12-year old for 12 year olds. Horrible!
I have never read anything by Lynsay Sands, but if this story is indicative, I'll never will.

Chaotic by Kelley Armstrong 5 stars

Hope is a half human half chaos demon tabloid reporter who works for the Interracial Council. At a charity ball she bumps into werewolf Karl Marsten and things become chaotic.
This was a great story. It was well written, exciting, engaging and fun (Hope is really funny). And it made me fall in love with Karl Marsten. Karl Marsten: the perpetually sly, egocentric, tricky werewolf loner who's never to be trusted. The dialogue between him and Hope was wonderful and it immediately made me want to read two other Armstrong books which has them featured.

Dead Man Dating by Lori Handeland 2,5 stars

Kit, who usually never dates and is a virgin, suddenly has men lined up who want her. And they want more from her then just a date.
This story started out good. Kit was funny, Chavez was mysterious, the plot was entertaining. But halfway through it seemed the writer ran out of time and had her 15-year old cousin finish the story. It got really simplistic and sappy. Truly a waste because of the nice start.

So any of you who are thinking of buying Dates From Hell: REALLY think about it. Especially since the Armstrong story
is available separately. All in all it was one good story, one great story, one bad story and one awful story put together. 2,5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dates From Hell.

08/30/2009 page 0
08/30/2009 page 1
0.24% "reading the Kelley Armstrong story.
Thank you Wattpad!"
09/05/2009 page 1
0.24% "read the Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison bit, 4 and 3,5 stars resp.
Thank you Wattpad!" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel I loved Hope Adams and Karl Marsten together. So glad to see the sneaky bastard has a caring and remotely sensitive side.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I completely agree with you about the Kim Harrison story. It was way too dark for my tastes, and I love dark stuff.

message 3: by Mel (last edited Dec 25, 2009 04:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel Me too. But it was just too much. Especially for an anthology with short PNR stories. I totally missed the R-part!
But I loved Ivy with Kisten. I really liked Kisten, but not with Rachel. She needs to be with Trent!

message 4: by Bren (new) - added it

Bren I love Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison ... and I totally agree about the Claire Switch Project, lol ... just awful, lol