(G)Emma 's Reviews > Hate List

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Jul 13, 10

bookshelves: 2010-books
Read in January, 2010

Characters: Valerie was easy to relate to. Full of angst that she attempted to suppress, it was somewhat difficult to find her voice amidst the flashbacks, but once they were over, I liked her. Her art was an outlet for her emotionally stress that I enjoyed. Her genuine love for Nick came across as endearing instead of unhealthy. Nick was an easily antagonized but bright boy who could've probably got in an entirely different direction if people had given him a chance. Jessica was a very determined girl who was positively changed by the shooting, more so than anyone else in the entire novel. Despite Val's past with her, I really liked her stubborn attitude. Val's family were a mess. I absolutely despised her father, and wanting to throw the book out of my hands due to fury towards him multiple times. There wasn't a character in this book that was flat. 5 flowers.

Writing: Val could've appeared either a villain or a victim in this book, but she seemed to be neither. Brown did a perfect job with her character, without going to extremes. There are some great passages in this novel. I'm extremely impressed with this debut. 5 flowers.

If you'd like to read more of my review, go to my blog: http://bookingthrough365.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-7-of-10-hate-list-by-jennifer.html
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate List.