Casey's Reviews > Elsewhere

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Sep 28, 07

bookshelves: children-or-young-adult

I read this because my little sister told me I had to. I am easily influenced.

First, I was completely and totally infuriated by this book because rotting away on my computer is a story I started about a guy who dies and ends up in a heaven that looks a lot like earth, and he discovers that God basically has no control over anything (He feels really bad about it, but just sort of wishes everyone would leave him alone). Well, there are parts of Elsewhere that are eerily similar to my writing. Oh well. I guess this is a lesson on that made-up word that I hate--stictoitiveness.

Oh yes, I'm supposed to be telling what I actually thought of the book. It was excellent. It's funny and the protagonist is infuriatingly and accurately adolescent. There's just a certain amount of titillation to keep YA readers reading, and yes, I did tear up a couple times. I thought the middle dragged a bit, but I was so enamored of its initial cleverness that I was eager to forgive.

The book also jump-started my desire to organize a lunch time book club with my 7th graders. I have a long list of interested kids, and books are on order. I can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elsewhere.