Rane's Reviews > Phantom Waltz

Phantom Waltz by Catherine Anderson

1987431
Sep 12, 2009

bookshelves: old-school-modern-contemporary

Ryan Kendrick was having a bad day that is until he walked into the local hardware store and saw her; saw the love of his life sitting behind the counter. After a chat he finds himself drawn to this woman full of life and sass, even when he finds that she’s bound to a wheelchair, he can’t seem to get her out of his head and his heart and sets out to win her over.
Bethany Coulter ‘s life changed in an instant when she was badly injured in a barrel-racing competition, losing the use of her legs, after eight years in a wheelchair and being hurt badly and disappointed in love. Bethany is scared of trusting Ryan, but slowly she’s won over by his kindness, understanding and love.
As both overcome any or all obstacles as they find their lasting love………

Much like Annie’s Song, Phantom Waltz touches a cord deep inside your heart; with people whom aren’t physically perfect but are just as amazing as any one of us can be, even more so. Bethany, although lost the use of her legs, still does everything in her power to stay independent and cheerful trying to look on the positive side of life. Due to her accident has been wrapped up in cotton, protected from the world by her family, and after being hurt by her boyfriend early on in her accident sealed her heart away. Only until Ryan walks into her life and brings the light back does she start to see what she’s been missing out on life.
Bethany was an amazing character, never giving up, and trying learning to live without the use of her legs, something all or most take for granted. CA shows us Bethany even the bad days of not even wanting to wake up, knowing she’ll have to face another day without the use of her legs. Though the hardships, she finds love, and the ability to do even more then she could have though possible with the support of a love one, someone who believed she could.
Ryan….what can I say that can be express into few words, he was beautiful, amazing, kind, supportive, protective. He loved Bethany greatly willing to change his way of life, build and remake his house so she could wheel around anywhere and even risk his life for her. If I knew a man like Ryan and he loved me, I would marry him in a instant! No questions asked.

The love between the two was just as profound, as Ryan is a sly devil as he works his way into Bethany heart and earns her trust. The love scenes were deep as both explore ways for Bethany to enjoy sex. Because of the medical subject matter, it was kinda hard to know if was possible for Bethany enjoy sex a certain way, but CA did a great job and the love scene became an expression of love between Ryan and Bethany.

With the secondary characters add to the story, and also give you glimpse of future books, making the story take an easy pace as romance between Ryan and Bethany blossoms.

The only true problem I had within the book and story was with Bethany quickly leaving Ryan because she thought she was a burden after he risked his life for her, and when he tracks her down to live with her, she changes her mind and goes back to the ranch giving Ryan the run around. The only time within the book I wanted to smack some sense into Bethany. Was more of a hinder then an overall problem. Then all went well when they had the wedding. Finally~!

Overall: a beautiful story of hope and believing in someone no matter their physical limitations and loving them for whom they are on the inside.
30 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Waltz.

09/10/2009 "If PW is anything like Annie's Song I better have some tissue box around for the teary moments" 5 comments

message 1: by Corrine (new)

Corrine Great review, Rane!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Awesome review. You pretty much said what I felt about this story. I love CA's heroes and her heroines are sweet.

Rane Corrine wrote: "Great review, Rane!"

Thank you Corrine!

Rane Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Awesome review. You pretty much said what I felt about this story. I love CA's heroes and her heroines are sweet."

Thank you Danielle!
There was a few questions that PW raised that made me google a few things but I really didn't have any trouble understanding where CA was leading the stoy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I felt she did a good job with the medical aspects of Bethany's condition. She touched on some things I always wondered about being a paraplegic.

Karen Great review, Rane. I loved seeing Ryan and Bethany in Blue Skies. I'm looking forward to getting this one in the mail.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I love Anderson's books.

Julianna Great review, Rane! I totally agree about Bethany's lapse at the end. That was a little annoying to me, and about the only thing that kept the book from getting keeper status from me. Ryan was a positively scrumptious hero though. I totally fell for him when I read this book.;-)

message 9: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review, Rane! Now the "big" question: as this is part of a long series, do I have to read the previous books to enjoy it?

Auntee Great review Rane--I loved this one!

Dina, I'll butt in and say you can read this as a stand alone--but you'll probably want to read all the others too!

message 11: by Dina (new)

Dina Thanks, Auntee! I'll start slow. :)

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Karen wrote: "Great review, Rane. I loved seeing Ryan and Bethany in Blue Skies. I'm looking forward to getting this one in the mail. "

Thank you Karen! I'am thinking of getting the rest of the series...

message 13: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Eyre wrote: "Great review! I love Anderson's books."

Thank you Eyre! I have yet to be bummed over Anderson's works

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Great review, Rane! I totally agree about Bethany's lapse at the end. That was a little annoying to me, and about the only thing that kept the book from getting keeper status from me. Ryan was a po..."

Thank you Julie!
That part just made me mad with Bethany, but the saving grace was again Ryan who really went above and beyond and I just fell in love with him over and over again

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane! Now the "big" question: as this is part of a long series, do I have to read the previous books to enjoy it?"

Thank you Dina!
I had no trouble with picking this up like Auntee said, it can be stand alone, but I now really want to read about the rest of the family :D

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Auntee wrote: "Great review Rane--I loved this one!
"

Thank you Auntee! It was really beautiful *sniffles* the ending made me happy *sniffles*

message 17: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Rane!! What a tearjerker!!!

Daisiemae Bethany's reaction upset me, too! You're right, the ending was great and I loved it.
Great review, Rane:)

message 19: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Angelc wrote: "Great review, Rane!! What a tearjerker!!!"

Thank you Angelc, the ending had me all teary eyed *sniffles*

message 20: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Daisiemae wrote: "Bethany's reaction upset me, too! You're right, the ending was great and I loved it.
Great review, Rane:)"

Thank you Daisiemae!
I wanted to shake her to make her snap outta it, but at least all well that ends well?

message 21: by BJ Rose (new) - added it

BJ Rose OK, Rane, this did it! I've had Catherine Anderson books on my wishlist for quite a while - now I'm definitely going to start reading her - Great Review!

message 22: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Loved your review Rane. I do have to give Anderson a try sometime soon:)

Karen

Thank you Karen! I'am thinking of getting the rest of the ..."

Just a note about the other books in the series...I finished Sun Kissed yesterday. It was a good story, but a bit heavy on the religion. I think it was somewhere after page 300 before they kissed for the first time. I read reviews for Morning Light and the word is that it focuses pretty heavily on religion as well. I don't have anything against that, but I don't want it to be a major theme in the books I'm reading.

Just thought you might be interested to know that...religion aside, Catherine Anderson tells a great story. :-)

message 24: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane BJ Rose wrote: "OK, Rane, this did it! I've had Catherine Anderson books on my wishlist for quite a while - now I'm definitely going to start reading her - Great Review!"

Thank you BJ! CA is an awesome writer and she tells on great story ;)

message 25: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Fani wrote: "Loved your review Rane. I do have to give Anderson a try sometime soon:) "

Thank you Fani!
Fair warning CA writes a good tear jerker *sniffles*

Ally72 Beautiful review, Rane! I am reading this one now and loving it.

message 27: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Ally wrote: "Beautiful review, Rane! I am reading this one now and loving it."

Thank you Ally, it;s one of my fave CA books that brought tears to my eyes...then again alot of CA books do that ^^;

Ally72 I haven't read many of her books (yet), but I can definitely see that this one will be making me cry. She is quickly becoming one of my favorite all time writers!!!

Ridley I'm glad you enjoyed reading it, but I was horribly insulted by it. I wanted to find CA and punch her in the face for writing it.

It's the worst take on disability that I've ever read.

message 30: by Lucie (new)

Lucie "a heart so wild" Wow Rane what a review!

I love when you say :
"He loved Bethany greatly willing to change his way of life, build and remake his house so she could wheel around anywhere and even risk his life for her. If I knew a man like Ryan and he loved me, I would marry him in a instant! No questions asked."

(Awesome review!!/(^_^)\ Very funny!!)

--> I'm goin' to check this book...

message 31: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully I've been meaning to give CA a chance. Think I'll start with this one. Great review Rane!