Michael's Reviews > I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood

I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings... by Philip Gulley

Aug 29, 2009

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in September, 2009

Whenever I discover that a new book by Philip Gulley has hit the market, I immediately set about tracking it down and then clear my reading schedule. Gully's work--both fiction and non-fiction--is some of the best on the market today and each new book is a treat. It's hard to say if I prefer his fiction or his non-fiction more. The fiction is great because each trip to his fictional town of Harmony is a lot of fun and always good for a good natured laugh or two. On the other hand, his non fiction always feels like you're sitting down with an old friend to catch up a bit, reminisce about things and just enjoy a good conversation.

It's reminiscing about Gulley's childhood that serves as the focus for the latest series of essays in "I Love You, Miss Huddleston." From his crush on his sixth grade teacher to his first job as a newspaper boy and then working as a lawn care entrepreneur, Gully's reflections are full of humor, wit and the right amount of self-deprecation. Reading the stories, you can see glimpses of where he got some of the pieces for his Harmony novels and you'll feel like you're spending time with an old friend, enjoying some good memories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood.

09/03/2009 page 68