Ronda's Reviews > The End

The End by David LaRochelle

Aug 29, 2009

bookshelves: childrens, dragons, library_lessons
Read in August, 2009

At first, I wasn't sure about this story. I loved it, but got nothing but puzzled looks from students when I tried it with them last year. This year, I've been having a great time with it--sharing it as my beginning of year read-aloud with all my classes. The older students get as much of a kick out of it as my younger ones--though I will admit that I had to do a little editorializing, asking them what you were if you were "soggy" or "clever" and making goofy asides about how I knew they might be thinking that rabbits aren't scary, but that they might be a little scared at first too if one-hundred bunnies hopped into their room all of a sudden. It makes a great story to use with discussions about how stories usually progress--a beginning, a middle and an end-- get a taste of predicting, AND looking at things from a different cause and effect perspective. Yep--all this in one funny picture book. When I get to the end of The End, I tell the story again backwards (which is actually right-way-round)--really fast--going through the pictures--so they can see the progression from "Once upon a time" to "the end." Usually when I ask which way they liked the story best (back to front or front to back) they pick "backwards!" Fun, fun, fun. This story is one of the nominees for the 2009-2010 Volunteer State Book Award.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End.

04/28/2016 marked as: read