Christine (AR)'s Reviews > The Cold Commands

The Cold Commands by Richard K. Morgan

Oct 27, 11

bookshelves: sff
Recommended for: Fandom people. Martin fans.
Read from October 11 to 24, 2011

Brilliant. Sequel to The Steel Remains; worth the two solid years I've been waiting for it.

And okay, fine, it has its problems... Morgan obviously lives by the motto "Explain Nothing", which makes for a whole lot of showing and about zero tell, but which also means that you're always right on the edge of having no freaking clue what's going on.

What I gathered: We have the 'good' guys, more or less. And a decade ago they fought some really nasty, other-dimension types who were kind of like fairies, but possibly aliens. They also fought some nasty, ravenous dragon-things that may or may or may not have been in league with the fairy-aliens, but were probably most definitely aliens. Or dragons. They were helped by an immortal race of technologically advanced demi-gods who have since taken off, leaving behind some very sarcastic AI and one incredibly awesome female POV character. There are a few polytheistic religions thrown in, too, and all of these things are either returning or evolving into Very Bad Things, so everyone is pretty much doomed unless our three povs can pull off another miracle save like they did in the first war.

(There's also a trope that's a little problematic, but mostly made up for by the character being completely awesome.)

Actually, all the characters are awesome. The writing is gritty and sharp and tight and the dialogue is some of the best I've ever read, absolute truth. So what if it's a touch confusing. Morgan seems to have confidence that we'll figure it out, and I trust him enough to believe the same thing. Read, read, read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold Commands.

10/12/2011 page 77
17.0% "Morgan's dialogue rocks."
10/20/2011 page 389