Adrian Stumpp's Reviews > Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy

Crossfire by Jim Marrs

Aug 29, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, conspiracy-theory

** spoiler alert ** Spoiler alert: The CIA did it. Now we can al rest easy. I read recently that it had become impossible to write an effective satire of American society because reality had become so perposterously absurd that any attempt to satirize it will strike the reader more as a prophetic nightmare than as a satirization. This is one of the primary texts Oliver Stone used to plot out the film JFK, and is basically the Encyclopedeia of JFK assassination theories. This also proves the satire quote from above, since the whole time you're reading this you think, "Oh my god! That could NEVER happen!"
But it did. Or, at least, I think it did, which brings me to the main point of what is interesting about this book, the JFK assassination in particular, and conspiracy mythology in general. That Lee Harvey Oswald was a patsy, that our own government murdered the president because he wanted to bring an end to the American military industrial complex matters very little as history, even if it is true. It matters not. What matters--why conspiracy theories are important to us--is as personal mythology. It doesn't matter if it happened. That so misses the point. What matters is that MILLIONS of Americans and HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people around the world believe it happened. They believe in the conspiracy to assassinate JFK like some people believe in Jesus or Quantum Mechanics. It is part of their personal mythologies. It explains the internal workings of their personal cosmology, the spiritual universe in which they live. Paranoia. Determinism. Shadowy forces. This is what we believe in. This is the world we believe, in our guts, we live in. It cannot be explained. It is not benevolent. It doesn't want to kill us, it just wants to control us. We're okay with that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossfire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britta (last edited Aug 31, 2009 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Britta One day, perhaps if I ever get laid off again or post-graduate move period of no working/looking for work, I want to read this book in it'r entirety. I think you're wrong though because I'm pretty sure the Illuminati were behind the assassination. This whole scenario has New World Order written all over it (insert sarcasm here).