Hannah's Reviews > Empress

Empress by Karen Miller

F 50x66
Aug 29, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Recommended for: anyone who loves fantasy
Read in June, 2008 — I own a copy , read count: 2

This is now my favorite book. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't read this to read it, and to read it with this in mind- you're not SUPPOSED to like Hekat. I grew tired of seeing reviews with people rating it only one star because "she's too mean" or "there's just something about her that makes me hate her." Hekat is set up in the first book to show you the background of the villain; to give you a look into how she got the way she did later on. If this book wasn't here, the next two would make you wonder "why is she like that?" This book is the answer to your question before you even ask it. And you're SUPPOSED to hate her... which means that the author actually did a fantastic job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress.

03/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Zja (last edited Apr 18, 2010 10:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zja This is the most intelligent comment I have read on this wonderful book! I think people are used to having heroines/heros as their protagonists, and that has distorted their approach to Empress of Mijak. I personally loved it, it is the best book I have read this year so far.

Bryan Glosemeyer I agree with obsidiantears83, it was really surprising to me how many people didn't get that they were reading the origin story of the villian?! you're not supposed to like her in this book, just understand who she is. very good review! I just finished empress and I can't wait to read the next two books.

Garrick Merriweather I totally agree with you Hannah. The trilogy is one of my favorite in recent years. I spoke with Karen recently and begged her to revisit Hekat. One of the best underated stories out there. stories

message 4: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather I'll be honest, I just finished this book and I'm undecided about picking up the rest of the series. I enjoyed Miller's writing, but at no point did I get an indication that Hekat was supposed to be the villain, not the protagonist. She's the main protagonist on the story, and while I don't expect the protagonist to be some goody-two-shoes, it was very difficult for me to justify finishing the book when I was so frustrated with Hekat. I'm going to wait awhile before I try the next book, but you review helped me understand Empress a little better. I enjoyed Miller's writing, but I did not enjoy this book.

Bryan Glosemeyer @heather, you may enjoy the next two books a lot more, as the protagonist is someone very different than Hekat, and Hekat takes her place as the villian of the series.

Jess @Heather, I see what you mean, but towards the end of the book, more characters are introduced and there is a definite switch in who we know is the good guy and the bad guy. Hekat is by no means the good one. I urge you to finish the book...it'll surprise you, I loved it.

Bernie I love this book. When I began the book I was all for Hekat...she was a little slave girl, she was purchased by a man she falls in love with. She had no idea that she was nothing more than a slave to Abajai and was heartbroken when she realised otherwise. I really *felt* for her.

As the story continued I must say I began to like her less and less as a character but I loved her at the same time. I couldn't wait to see what she was up to next.

By the end of the book I hated her for what she had done to the people who loved her, in vain, for she only had love for her God and did everything she could to please him/her.

Whilst I can hate her for that I can still admire her in some ways for her faith but it is her faith ultimately that turns her from a fairly likable, strong warrior character into a sociopathic, bloodthirsty, bigoted, megalomaniacal religious zealot.

Elise @Bernie, you've articulated exactly what it was about this book that I liked so much (as has Hannah, of course!) Hekat is so COMPLICATED, and though she's certainly not nice/good, I still really love her (in vain, I guess!). I'm just relieved to see other people who love this book! After reading some of these reviews, I was getting a little worried...

Rein Great review! You echo all my thoughts and frustrations of over some of the other negative reviews. This is at the top of my favorite books list, though I am careful who I recommend it to as it seems that a lot of people just can't digest it. I just wish the people who disliked this book so much because of Hekat would give the second book a chance, as the first one really sets up what the rest of the characters in the over all story line are up against and why they should be very afraid of Hekat!

message 10: by Ivy (new) - rated it 1 star

Ivy Knowing that, a lot of things make more sense. But knowing that, actually makes me dislike this book more.
It explains all those contrived moves of hers which didn't make any sense in the face of things she had said/done/believed before, and it explained the choices in the narrative which seemed unnecessary to me and flew in the face of any betterment for the character herself. (Meaning descriptions which could have been put other ways to the reader)

Thank you for explaining that, I'm glad to know I was supposed to hate her. I'm disappointed to know that's why the book was incoherent and unenjoyable.

Starr This book is an amazing start to an amazing trilogy. If you read Empress, make sure to read the entire trilogy before leaving a comment about it, with that being said. If you haven't yet read the book, it's a bit difficult for some, absolutely amazing fur others.