ellen's Reviews > God's Harvard: A Christian College on a Mission to Save America

God's Harvard by Hanna Rosin

Sep 28, 07

Read in September, 2007

This is one of the most well written and interesting books I've read in a long time. I recently watched the movie Jesus Camp and was in shock as to the level of evangelical indoctrination that's going on in this country. I didn't realize just how strong and how organized the evangalicals were / are, and as a liberal and lesbian this frightens me. This book allowed me a peek into the conservative Christian world and the people within it -- I kept waiting for someone to "fall", and in the eyes of Patrick Henry University some of them did -- but it's not something that I would consider a great fall from grace, mostly things that would not at all be considered infractions in the secular world.

This book, written from the perspective of a journalist who does not fit the evangelical mold, allowed me to get to know the men and women of Patrick Henry in the same way I might. It's helpful to me to know that these places exist, and the extent and possible power of evangelicals. I'm not sure any common ground exists between they and I, but knowledge goes a long way to co-existence and minimizing the impact they may have on my life and my freedom. Fascinating stuff.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Harvard.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Letitia I can affirm Bobbi's comments, too. We aren't "out to get you" because we're Christians and you're not, or we're heterosexual and you are not. In every group of people that survives more than a single decade, there are radicals, but it would behoove the nation to believe that radicalism does not eclipse the principal of love and mercy upon which this religion was originally founded.

I have also attended two private Christian universities, and was taught with the highest degree of acadmic excellence, not to mention concern for impacting my world. That impact, however, was never communicated to be an act of exclusion or hatred towards any group whatsoever.