Stephanie's Reviews > Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

2206183
Aug 29, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, humour, colonialism, third-culture
Read in July, 2009

Don't read this book if you can't stand a mortified narrator. A lot of humour is derived from Fat Charlie's embarrassments, but I was happy to see him slowly overcome his self-consciousness. I liked how Gaiman brought about completion: Fat Charlie and Spider were on their inverted journeys to being whole, and both reached a unique and satisfying destination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anansi Boys.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Neil Gaiman
“Each person whoever was or is or will be has a song. It isn’t a song that anybody else wrote. It has its own melody, it has its own words. Very few people get to sing their own song. Most of us fear that we cannot do it justice with our voices, or that our words are too foolish or too honest, or too odd. So people live their songs instead.
Take Daisy, for example. Her song, which had been somewhere in the back of her head for most of her life, had a reassuring, marching sort of beat, and words that were about protecting the weak, and it had a chorus that began “Evildoers beware!” and was thus much too silly ever to be sung out loud. She would hum it to herself sometimes though, in the shower, during the soapy bits.
And that is, more or less, everything you need to know about Daisy. The rest is details.”
Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys