Steve's Reviews > Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling Exams, and the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination

Encyclopedia of Counseling by Howard Rosenthal

Aug 30, 09

bookshelves: psychology

I used this book to study for the National Counselor Examination in the Summer of 2009. I figured that books like this are hard to evaluate, since they're not really meant to be read. Since I passed using this book, it gets more stars than not.

If you're studying for this exam, there are lots of practice questions and multiple questions on the same topic, to facilitate learning that material. There's also explanations of why each answer is wrong or right. The only section of the NCE that I hadn't had a class on in graduate school was on career counseling. Even with this book, that was my worst section. I think that I would have done better if either (a) I had such a class, (b) I read an actual book on career counseling, or (c) Rosenthal presented an overview of career counseling and major theories of it rather than simply asking questions -- I tried to make overviews in my head of the theories by piecing them together from the questions, but that apparently didn't work so well. This is the only text I used to study, I studied very casually for about two month, with a maximum of about two hours in a week up until the last week and an average much closer to one in a week. During the last week, I studied an hour a day up to the last day, and then studies six hours the night before.

To brag, self chastize, and rant just a little, I was just about three standard deviations above the mean on the statistics and research methods part of the exam. Then again, I do teach those for a living. I'm disappointed in myself for missing a question in that section. Too bad they didn't tell me which one it was -- then I'd either experience the Zeigarnik effect, and never forget it, or I'd write an angry letter to the testing company about how either (a) they're wrong, or, more likely, (b) they're choices are confusing and ambiguous, thereby making the question problematic. Oh well.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia of Counseling.