Sarah's Reviews > While I'm Falling

While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty

Aug 29, 09

** spoiler alert ** SOOO disappointing. I read Laura Moriarty's first novel, Center of Everything, and just loved it to pieces. But both her follow ups have been meager at best and this last one is just not good. The pacing is unbelievably slow (despite a good start) and the actions of everyone involved seem more forced than realistic and certainly repetitive. Three hundred pages is essentially dedicated to a one week time period where a college age girl gets in trouble with her one-time house sitting job, struggles with her parents, her grades, and her way in life. I'm a decade past college so it's really frustrating to read. Just not enough character growth, really. She had a party and has to clean up? And it's a challenge? BOO.

Then there's the dog. The newly divorced mother considers putting the elderly, but still in decent shape, dog down because she's moving into an apartment that does not accept dogs. You lost me there and never got me back. Considering a dog over an apartment? Seriously? I know how terribly difficult it is to rent with dogs - I have two large breeds - but I have never considered for even a second putting the dogs down or giving them away for a place to live. Ridiculous. Unsympathetic. And a reader who will never go back to this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While I'm Falling.