Gaijinmama's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice

Mar 03, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, re-read, fiction, favorites
Read from February 15 to March 03, 2011

I am going to confess that I didn't read this book until 1993, after I'd seen the movie. I couldn't handle horror movies or scary books at the time, but Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas and a surprisingly good Tom Cruise really got my attention.
Now I'm a bona fide fan. I'm working toward reading everything Rice has written, and now I enjoy many other authors who write about vampires.
It wasn't just that the vampire dudes were soooo totally hot in the movie. As is usually the case, the book turned out to be even better. Rice's characters are among the most compelling ever created in fiction. Louis with his constant moral conflicts and philosophical musings, Lestat with his naughty Bad Boy Bloodsucking Attitude and sarcasm (which Tom Cruise did really well in the film..though Lestat is definitely supposed to be taller!). Claudia with her keen intelligence and relentless anger at having been trapped for eternity in a child's body. Armand for being..at this stage of the series anyway...such a deep, dark, sexy enigma. Rice was the first author to make her vampires complex enough to keep my attention and, more importantly, make me actually **LIKE** them as they go around ripping people's throats out.

My favorite character however, has got to be the City of New Orleans, the true star of this show. I'm sure I'm nowhere near the first reader who has been inspired by Rice's books to visit this special, unique city and wander through the French Quarter and the Garden District. Rice knows and loves her city, and that feeling is infectious. I'm a sucker for well-developed characters, but in this book and the rest of Rice's work, it's the setting that draws me in most of all.

The indelible image of Antonio almost kissing Brad doesn't hurt either
57 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

03/21 marked as: read

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Great review, Gaijinmama! Although I'm sure you'll love the entire series, the first book has always been my favorite, I think because it expresses the moral conflicts more than the other books, and because it reflects the sadness and inevitability of it all (just a-breakin' your heart).

I have the original hardcover book around here somewhere - now I'll have to dig it up and give it a reread!

Gaijinmama I've read most of the other books, but the first is definitely my favorite. I have read it and re-read it over the years. It kind of stands alone, whereas the others really don't.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I agree! And the other books become more infatuated with Lestat (which, granted, is interesting) but I've always had a soft spot for Louis.

Dang, I've gotta go find that book! I'm reading
The Death of a President: November 1963 so this will make a nice change of pace.

message 4: by Powersamurai (last edited Mar 04, 2011 06:53PM) (new)

Powersamurai I actually watched the movie first, because there was nothing else I wanted to watch that day—the date of which I remember, because I was treating myself to a movie for my birthday. The opening scenes with the rates left the biggest impression on me. LOL It wasn't until I was given The Vampire Lestat soon after that I realised it was a book. No need to state that I was totally hooked and had to read the rest of the series and Anne's books. Oddly enough, I didn't read IWTV until much much later. Excellent book.
When I first visited New Orleans, I felt Lestat's presence the first night I was there, or so I thought. It was storming outside—lightning, thunder, the works—and the curtains in my room at the Pontratrain Hotel moved slightly. All in the mind.

message 5: by Gaijinmama (last edited Mar 04, 2011 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gaijinmama G'day, mate and "yassou" (had to spell if phonetically cause I don't know how to get Greek characters on my keyboard!) Nice to hear from you. Did you click the "like" button on this review? I'm becoming a bit of a vote whore, and it's one of my better ones, if I do say so myself (and indeed I do!)
We stayed at the Pontchartrain Hotel too and I made poor Mr. Nihonjinpapa wander all over the Garden District. I have to say, I felt more Mayfair-esque vibes than Vampires. There is a definite Witchiness in the air.
And the neighborhood gets REALLY scary if you go a few blocks too far and suddenly realize the houses are smaller and the sidewalks are cracked....

message 6: by Powersamurai (new)

Powersamurai OK, anything to please you... When did you go to NOLA? Can't wait to catch up next and trade stories. What you say is true about the Mayfair-esque vibes. It also had powerful Violin vibes, too.

Gaijinmama Powersamurai wrote: "OK, anything to please you... When did you go to NOLA? Can't wait to catch up next and trade stories. What you say is true about the Mayfair-esque vibes. It also had powerful Violin vibes, too."
Thanks, Daaahling!
I think at least IWTV is more French Quarter than GArden District. The Mayfair books are most definitetly Garden District because so much of the story is centered in their house.
I confess I haven't read Violin yet. But it's on the shelf.
We were in NOLA in 1996 and 1999. I got preggers just a couple weeks after that last visit...just enough time to get all that alcohol out of my system! I really want to go back someday. When the kids are old enough to come along and have a drink with me, and stop me from showing strangers my tattoo, LOL!

message 8: by emm (new) - rated it 5 stars

emm I saw the movie first too, as a child and when I became 17 or 18 I finally read it.... So far, Anne Rice writes about vampires in the most amazing,complex and magical way. It's an addictive genre once you get started.

Gaijinmama Thanks Meagan!
Yeah, it is totally addictive, and if that's wrong I don't want to be right!