Shelly's Reviews > Olive Kitteridge

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction-novel, give-away-throw-away
Recommended for: NO ONE!
Read in January, 2010

Horrible and probably not worth even the one star. While it's true Strout writes with depth, precision, and intensity it isn't to uplift or edify the reader. It's more like exploratory surgery to find the rottenest part of our souls and dig it out for examination. We all know humans have ugly pieces inside but why examine it in such detail with no probable solutions offered? I'd rather look for and latch onto the GOOD in each of us. I'd much rather be seeking after anything "virtous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy". Olive is one of those people who, in real life, no one likes and usually avoids if possible so why would I want to read about her? In my opinion, Strout's a waste of talent at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive Kitteridge.

02/20/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Paula just finished this book. I liked it very much! Short story form but interwoven in places.

Barbara Although I didn't dislike it as intensely as you did, your quotation of my favorite bible verse really does sum it up for me. Its amazing how varied the responses are and how many people including the Pulitzer committee apparently, really liked this book.

message 4: by B (new) - added it

B Khalil Agree, agree, agree. I'd avoid this lady if I had to walk two blocks away in a disagreeable part of the city, because you might be able to reason with a mugger, or anyone else who has soul!! Not Olive.

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb Wishnev You are probably too young to appreciate this book. Read it again
When you grow up.

message 2: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz If you lived in small town, Maine you might agree with her vivisection. It's like that here, I live here.

message 1: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary I am grown up and felt the same...... thin and sad characters, very tiresome. I also live in New England. and see these people everyday, why would I want to read about them too.