Jill's Reviews > Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence

Am I Blue? by Marion Dane Bauer

Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, glbtq
Recommended for: GLBTQ groups/teens

This book probably saved my sanity when, as a teenager, I realized I might be gay*. It has sixteen short stories about different aspects of being gay or knowing gay people - some sad, some happy, some in-between - and being a teenager. In addition to being a good book in itself, it is also a fabulous resource for finding authors who have written other books about gay teenagers, or at least who are sensitive to the issues. The book is also appropriate for adults, although the issues are going to be different. We read several stories from this book out loud during gay-straight alliance meetings in college, and they were a great way to start conversations, especially about people's own experiences.

The book could possibly use an update sometime in the next several years, as the collective experiences of teenagers today (at least in the bigger cities or more progressive areas) is changing for the better. Gay teenagers who have had fewer incidences of hate may feel less connected to this book than those who felt they were silenced more powerfully just ten or fifteen years ago.

*I use "gay" interchangeably for GLBTQQIII, with no offense meant to any of the other subgroups who might also find this book helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Am I Blue?.