Madeline's Reviews > Artemis Fowl

111921
Aug 28, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, kids-and-young-adult
Read in January, 2001

Points for originality (mixing mythological creatures with computer shit?! Not kosher! shriek millions of wannabe-Tolkien fantasy writers), but after four more sequels I started to notice patterns. Artemis Fowl is a rich, socially challenged kid with big plans to take over the world (think The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper, only minus all humorous lines and general adorable-ness.) He makes dastardly plans involving technology. Tough Chick Cliche #987 enters, fucks up said plans. Day is saved using technology and plucky teamwork. However, everything will return to the way it was before for the next sequel so we can repeat the process.

I know this all sounds negative and contradictory to my 4-star rating, but bear in mind that I am writing this as a cynical 20-year-old with years of literary criticism and theory classes under my belt that make it impossible for me to just read something without analyzing it to death. When I read these books in middle school, I thought they were completely awesome.

But really: it's not surprising that this kid has so many emotional/personality issues. That's what you get for naming a boy after the Greek goddess of the hunt/moon/virginity.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis Fowl.

Maninee Tthink The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper, only minus all humorous lines and general adorable-ness.
I never thought it was possible to describe Artemis Fowl in anything less than a 5 page essay but dammnit, I think you just nailed it.