Trish's Reviews > Strength in What Remains: A Journey of Remembrance and Forgiveness

Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder

Aug 31, 09

bookshelves: africa, nonfiction, biography
Read in August, 2009

Deogracias is the lens through which we view Burundi and Rwanda during the "events" of the 90's. Through his eyes we also have a reflected view of New York City and its inhabitants in that decade. By the end of the book I realized, without the slightest cynicism, that we must indeed thank god for this man, Deogracias, who shows us what humans can be, and what they can accomplish.

Kidder does an exceptional job of showing us the disorientation of Deo during and after the events in Africa, and after his arrival in NYC. Deo was a third-year medical student in Burundi when he came to the United States. He spoke no English, knew no one, and had two hundred dollars. We glimpse his fear, re-live his humiliations, laugh at his misunderstandings, and feel his anger. Somehow Kidder has made this one man's experience universal. We feel responsible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strength in What Remains.

08/29/2009 page 35
12.64% "Kidder has begun a sculpture which gets more defined with every page. Exceptionally evocative."
08/29/2009 page 80
28.88% "Captures the painful humiliation of learning a new language in a strange country. The uncertainty, confusion, the wounds to pride..."
08/30/2009 page 150
54.15% "I die a little to read of this man who studied philosophy at Columbia because he had no words to describe what happened to him in Africa."