JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > The Society of S

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

The Society of S is about Ariella Montero, a very sheltered, educated 13-year-old growing up in Saratoga Springs, NY. Her father is a brilliant, handsome, reclusive research scientist who is home-schooling Ari and raising her alone. Ari's mother left them immediately after Ari's birth. Their Victorian mansion is full of secrets that Ari decides to investigate.

This was just okay for me. I have to admit that this is a young adult book and I'm not a young adult, but that doesn't usually bother me. The book is well-written, and the story is interesting, but I think my biggest problem was in believing that this was supposed to be pages from a 13-year-old's journal. There might be 13-year-old geniuses out there who are this introspective, thoughtful, and well-written, but they're few and far between. I just had a hard time buying it for that reason. And, this is kind of a small thing, but there are interjections thrown in that would just throw me off. Like, "I think in colors. Do you?" Okay, is she really talking to me, or is she supposed to be telling this story to someone? That wasn't cleared up until the very last pages, although, if I'd really thought about, I could probably have figured it out in the first couple of pages. Obviously I wasn't paying that much attention.

All in all, I really just felt like this author, while telling a completely different story, was really just trying to cash in on the popularity of Stephenie Meyers' Twilight series. Read those instead, but if you're left hungry for more, you might want to turn to this one. Just be warned that you probably won't enjoy it as much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Society of S.