Dayna's Reviews > Essential Herbal Wisdom: A Complete Exploration of 50 Remarkable Herbs

Essential Herbal Wisdom by Nancy Arrowsmith

Sep 27, 09

bookshelves: at-the-library, herbs-natural-health
Read in September, 2009

On the back cover it says, "A Treasury of Herbal Wisdom and Lore," which pretty well describes what this book is. It gives detailed coverage of 50 herbs (some of which I hadn't heard of before). I read only a few of the entries, but thought that they were well written and organized. The illustrations are simple, the layout is uncluttered. It is informative without being dull. That isn't to say it's a vastly entertaining read. The scope is a little too large for that. It isn't a read-straight-through kind of book, but it's not just a quick reference guide either. I would say it falls somewhere in between. I really liked how this book felt holding it! It's large but not cumbersome, thick but not stiff. I don't usually make a big deal out of things like that (unless the size & binding are truly awful) but this is one of those books that's fun to pick up and flip through just because of how it feels in your hands. But, this is not the first book I would grab if I needed a guide for my own plants/garden. I would recommend it more for someone that actually has a large herb garden or to folks into natural healing remedies. The "wisdom & lore" would appeal to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essential Herbal Wisdom.