Jennifer's Reviews > Bending Toward the Sun: A Mother and Daughter Memoir

Bending Toward the Sun by Leslie Gilbert-Lurie

Aug 28, 2009

bookshelves: memoir-non-fiction
Read in October, 2009

I am in awe of this book. I found it beautifully written, first from the perspective of Rita (Ruchel), then her daughter, Leslie, and then a combined narrative in the final third of the book, with sprinklings of Mikaela (Leslie's daughter) as well. I was thoroughly enmeshed in this story. I felt so connected to all the key characters and could not put the book down. Although, I cannot identify with the Holocaust in a personal nature, the events and feelings were so vividly written that I felt like I was part of the story.

What I found especially intriguing was that the psychological trauma of the Holocaust has managed to weave into the fabric of the family even two generations later. I can attest to the fact that a parent's psychological trauma has a real and lasting impact on their own children's lives, even though the trama happened before their children were born. I am able to relate in a very strong way to this part of the story and I felt myself saying "Oh my gosh - I'm not the only one who feels/thinks/does that!"

I feel very strongly about this story and I highly recommend this to everyone out there. This book will have a lasting impact on me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bending Toward the Sun.