Thomas Alvi's Reviews > Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

Sep 04, 09

I think the biggest warning sign for this new-age fluff piece is that it says in the title "a book that changes lives"...if a book has to say it in the title, it ain't true. Let the text of the book speak for itself, and it's effects on the reader - don't make it a "sell point". Lame.

I *AM* a new-age, eclectic person and I gagged audibly at some of the tripe in this book. Yes, I finished it (yecch), but like a meal which one eats at the in-laws house as to not offend them, it left me with indigestion.

What really ticked me off was that it's presented as a true story by Millman, but then he goes off on these hallucinogenic tangents that are NOT "real life" (yes, he may have experienced them allegorically), which just cheapens the whole thing as he passes them off as "god's honest truth" (I swear he really just jumped up on top of the gas station, really!)

Not recommended for people SERIOUS about changing their lives. If you want to follow a vegetarian diet like Millman, read 'Diet for a New America' by Robbins. This is just a mish mash of personal stories embellished a LOT to make them INCREDIBLE and MEANINGFUL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Way of the Peaceful Warrior.