rebecca's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

Nov 02, 07

bookshelves: readandloved
Recommended for: hmmm...
Read in November, 2007

oh man. it's like amelia badelia for halfway-grownups.

here's what i think of when i think of the phantom tollbooth:

-people trying (and failing) to feed themselves with five-foot long spoons
-people having to (but not wanting to) eat their words
-semi-philosophical ideas about time and being and the way people treat themselves and each other*

what a doozy of a book! is it enough to say that i la-la-love it? no? okay, well let me add this: i think you should read it. really.

and yes, i do mean YOU specifically. try it out and let me know what you think, please. happy reading!

*NOTE: the lazy philosopher inside me...(whom my 11th grade baruchians got to know well sometime during the outsider in america book groups unit (do you remember, 301 and 303? boal and howard s. becker and freire?))...anyway my lazy philosopher really just eats this book up, what with its silly notions and its serious (?) undertones. at least i think there were some serious undertones when i last read the phantom tollbooth (e.g. when i was 10).

so really please do try the book! and if you love it (or hate it) please let me know, because i'm debating how soon to start rereading it. thanks in advance and enjoy!

p.s. IMPORTANT ADDENDUM: i have to say that my memories of this book are rosier than my current experiences with it--i stopped about 100 pages in. but only because i was getting a little nonplussed (if one can "get nonplussed") about where it was going, and i figured i'd rather spend my energy on a book i was really motivated to finish.

but if i ever finish it, i'll add a p.p.s. to tell you all about how that went for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie you just debunked my arguement that only boys like the phantom tollbooth!

ps- 6th grade humanities teachers cannot be lazy philosophers. quite the contrary when you are forced to reconcile essential questions like what is art at the prime age of 11. good grief!

message 2: by Mr. Mo (new)

Mr. Mo I read this book in the 6th grade! I remember Ms. Vescatel telling us to form a circle so we can read The Phantom Tollbooth. But I remember my copy having a pinkish cover. I'm totally going to read this again!

Emma I read this book for a book club, and let's just say that I wasn't the only one that didn't like it very much!

Sylvia "Amelia bedelia for halfway grown ups" SO ACCURATE