Matt's Reviews > The Boys of Summer

The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn

Sep 14, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, sports
Read in September, 2009

I tried to read this book when I was much younger (maybe 8th grade?) and couldn't get through it. Now I know why -- it's not a book for a 13-year-old. It's about aging, and disappointment, and nostalgia, and its very good at exploring these emotions through the lens of the Brooklyn Dodgers of the early 1950s. I enjoyed the baseball very much, and also liked the way Kahn wove in both his own life story and the stories of several players, as athletes and as people. It's striking how much the tale is shot through with race relations in general and the heroism of Jackie Robinson in particular -- even as I learn more and read more I'm still astounded by how fundamental race (and particularly white racism against blacks) has been at so many stages of our nation's history. I think it says something that that was my takeaway about both this book of baseball nostalgia and Joseph Ellis's Founding Brothers about our nation's early history...but it's nice in this sad, complicated story to have some real heroes like Robinson fighting to help our country become better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys of Summer.