JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Getting Mother's Body

Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks

I picked this up from the clearance table at B&N, thinking that it sounded like some sort of Flannery O'Connor kind of thing. I mean, this girl's about to go dig up her mother's body to find something (I can't remember what)! But it was just absolutely terrible. I finished it, but I hated it and couldn't wait to foist it upon my library as a donation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Mother's Body.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gwen (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Gwen I remember having to read this horrible book for book discussion group a few years back. I was amazed that I was the only one to really dislike it, feeling that it was a waste of my time. Someone said that perhpas because I was more "privileged" than the characters in the book, I could not relate to them. That was not the problem!

So glad that I am not the only one to feel the way you did about this book.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I was surprised to see how many 4 and 5 star reviews this thing got. It was just utter garbage, in my opinion. I don't think it's about privilege. I think we've both read plenty of other books where we were more privileged than the characters and enjoyed them. It's been several years since I read this, so I don't remember exactly why I hated it, but I definitely remember how much I hated it.

message 3: by Gwen (new) - rated it 1 star

Gwen JG said "I think we've both read plenty of other books where we were more privileged than the characters and enjoyed them."

I totally agree. Thought perhaps I was missing something since Suzan-Lori Parks won the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for her play Topdog/Underdog. I have not read that one.