Annika's Reviews > A Thin Dark Line

A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag

Aug 29, 11

Read from August 26 to 29, 2011

Ahhh, just as I remembered! "A Thin Dark Line" claims to be the fourth (and last) part of the Doucet series, Tami Hoag's little Cajun-country romp into the swamps and streams of the bayou in south Louisiana. Hoag goes so far as to provide a nice Cajun dictionary in the back of the book with the phrases and meanings of what her characters are saying. (I wish a pronunciation guide was included, but I have imagination enough to help me out.)

I think "A Thin Dark Line" stands alone by itself just fine. It touches on the previous book, but nothing that is need-to-know basis. This book I highly recommend to anyone wanting a suspenseful, sultry ride into Bayou Breaux, Louisiana, where a copycat killer is nailing women to the floorboards of deserted real estate...literally. Not nailing as in, sexual speak, but nailing as in...crucifixion. It's gory and brutal and something only shadowy, harsh detectives can handle. Nick Fourcade is a brutal, vigilante-justice kind of guy, who studies Tai Chi, speaks a slow Cajunspeak with a few nice French words thrown in, and scares everyone he meets with questions of insanity. I like the guy.

Annie Broussard is a deputy in the Bayou Breaux county sheriff's department whose eye is on being detective. Since she was the one who stumbled upon the mutilated body of a woman nailed to the floorboards, she feels compelled to solve the crime and bring the woman's killer to justice. She faces her share of sexism and humiliation at her work, being the only female on the sheriff's department, and only a deputy at that.

The presumed killer is known by all, but he cannot be arrested and tried since evidence found in his home wasn't listed on a search warrant. Fourcade was the detective who found that evidence, and is accused of planting it. Since his sanity is questioned at every turn, most people steer clear of him. He has his own rickety past with police departments and evidence-planting.

In all, this was one of my favorite suspense stories. The killer is revealed within the first pages, but the story backtracks to how the detectives got there, and more clues are revealed with Annie jumping on board. Well-written, well-paced, a beautiful creepy setting, and some of my favorite dialect in fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thin Dark Line.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Annika I read this years ago, but time to revisit it with a proper review. I do remember loving the dialect and the suspense. I also remember liking it better than "Cry Wolf", which I read recently.