Carol's Reviews > Bloody Mary: The Life of Mary Tudor

Bloody Mary by Carolly Erickson

Nov 12, 09

Read in November, 2009

A clear and concise fictional novel. It goes into Mary's personality in depth, you forget it is actually fiction, based on facts from her correspondences and from people around her.
She was a pious woman,who had strong religious convictions, which she needed ,to stand up to her father, during the years of her bastardy. She was also well educated for a woman of that time. Her father insisted she learn Latin and Greek. She was the first female to ascend to the throne of England. She was not deficit in her lineage ,as she was the grand-daughter of Queen Isabella of Spain

Mary suffered tremendously from Henry's second wife Anne Boleyn. She was denied clothing and proper nutrition, in order to break her will. Eventually she did come to the throne and she brought about the return of Catholicism to England, but it was not with out a bloodletting.She was instrumental in allowing persecutions against those who did not recognize the Church. Therefore the name Bloody Mary. She died leaving no heirs making way for her half sister, Elizabeth to ascend to the throne of England.

There has been theories that maybe she was poisoned,but nothing was ever proven.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Mary.

11/05/2009 page 40
11/05/2009 page 40
7.58% "I don't know how accurate the history will be."
11/08/2009 page 100
18.94% "I am finding it hard to stick with this book . I need a diversion from history books."
11/10/2009 page 150
28.41% "Still slogging through,it is informative. I have to remember fiction fiction"
show 2 hidden updates…