Drebbles's Reviews > The Colorado Kid

The Colorado Kid by Stephen King

Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: 2005
Read in October, 2005

Steffi McCann came from Cincinnati, Ohio to Moose-Lookit Island in Maine to do an internship on the newspaper "The Weekly Islander". Her elderly bosses at the newspaper, Vince Teague and Dave Bowie, have plenty to teach her, including the fact that, unlike newspaper stories, real life doesn't always have stories that come neatly wrapped in packages with a beginning, middle, and end. To illustrate that point, they tell her the story of a body found on the beach, the body of the man they call the "Colorado Kid".

Early on in this short novel, Stephen King warns readers that the mystery of the Colorado Kid will not be solved. This may keep some from reading this book, but that would be their loss. "The Colorado Kid" is a wonderful example of what Stephen King does best - create characters that you care about and want to know more about, long after you've finished reading the book. Vince and Dave are the standout characters in this book, so well written that at times I felt that they were talking to me instead of Steffi. Steffi is not written as clearly (and the book cover, which I guess is supposed to be an illustration of her, is a distraction) but King does write enough so that we know her as a character. Readers will even come to know the mysterious Colorado Kid and wonder why and how did he travel from Colorado to Maine and did he really choke to death on a piece of steak or was he murdered?

Perhaps the best part is that King does not answer those questions, but lets the reader draw his or her own conclusions. To further stir debate, King hints on his website that "The Colorado Kid" may have some connection to his Dark Tower series which opens even more possibilities and more questions in this reader's mind.

"The Colorado Kid" is a multi-layered and well-written book and not to be missed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Colorado Kid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandie (new)

Sandie Maybe I need to try the written version of this King book. I tried to listen to it on tape and the Maine accents were a little hard to handle. Ah,yep.