Lynn's Reviews > Dying Inside

M 50x66
Aug 27, 2009

it was ok
Read in May, 2009

I was expecting this to be better. It was a great idea but the execution failed. The primary character is born with the ability to read the minds of others and he begins to lose this ability during middle age.

Anyone with this power shouldn’t be living a boring life, but he did. He also wasn’t a very sympathetic character, and that could have been because the life he lived was a little bit unbelievable. The author tried to convince the reader that the power is in some way a curse, but I didn’t buy it; I just felt like his life was too ordinary for this kind of power. His life and the overall book should have been a lot more interesting. Some of the descriptions he wrote about mind reading were good, but I was disappointed overall.

This is supposed to be science fiction, but there wasn’t a lot of science and the author showed contempt for science, probably without even realizing it. There was more political commentary than science and his politics were lame and simplistic.

Finally, the description toward the end about feeling a oneness with other souls followed by a great loneliness was just plopped down for no apparent reason. I guess there is some deep significance to it, but it seemed out of place. I probably just missed the whole point, but didn't think it worthwhile to figure out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying Inside.