Jason Kurtz's Reviews > Loose Girl: A Memoir of Promiscuity

Loose Girl by Kerry Cohen

Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: autobiography, non-fiction
Read in August, 2009

Author Kerry Cohen bares her soul in this book about the juxtaposition of sex and love and how we as humans attempt to make sense of ourselves and the people in our lives.

If it wouldn’t have been a memoir, I am not sure if I would have kept reading. There were moving parts to the book, abut often Cohen was trying to explain through introspection why she used ‘boys’ to satisfy her need for love. It was essentially a long psychotherapy session where possibly Cohen worked out her problems on the page for ten years.

I can see how this would appeal to certain types of people, who are naturally introspective, and the issues she deals with are very real, but I am not sure if in the end, it was just a section of her life she was trying to work out for herself, and often it wasn’t all that interesting. Maybe I was looking for details. There were a lot of ‘boys’ and lists of names that really blurred together, and made the tale a little bland and generic. There were only a few instances where I could feel her fire and passion, and the rest was just washed over.

The first half of the text is when she was in high school, the a majority was from college, and Cohen is a YA author, so readers in their late teens may be able to relate as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loose Girl.