Stephen's Reviews > The Conformist

The Conformist by Alberto Moravia

Oct 11, 09

Read in September, 2009

I'm not sure I can recall ever reading a piece of "literature" that I would also qualify as a page-turner (with no offense meant to either category).

An unmistakable sign that a book is good, in my opinion: I missed my train stop one evening while reading, so engaged was I in this masterful probing of an ordinary but psychologically tormented man hellbent on achieving normality in Fascist Italy.

I plan on seeing the film again soon, not so much to compare it to the book, but because I find the story so thought-provoking and worthy of examination.

I generally feel a film is a success if it sends one back to the source material; in this instance, I feel as though I may be going back and forth for a while as I ponder Moravia's question of what "normal" means.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conformist.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephen For years I've been a huge fan of Bertolucci's film adaptation of The Conformist, and am now a huge fan of Moravia's book that inspired it.