Jan's Reviews > The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

Oct 12, 2009

Read in October, 2009

This very thought-provoking and worship-full little book by Tozer (always good for a profound read) was composed of short little chapters, each focusing on a different characteristic of God. Chock-full of scripture references and grounded theology I found each chapter bringing me to a deeper understanding of who God is. Some of the characteristics covered were omniscience, omnipotence, sovereignty, grace, mercy, love. But my favorite was on God's immutability - His inability to change. Therefore, he can only exude justice ALL the time. He's incapable of doing anything else. At the same time, He can also only be loving ALL the time. He can do nothing else but. And so on. I find that extremely comforting. We humans pick and choose when we want to be loving, when we want to be judgmental, when we want to be merciful. But God is ALWAYS fully loving, fully grace-full, fully all-knowing, etc. That's what makes Him Holy - set apart - and God alone. And us....NOT.

I was challenged by the final chapter called "The Open Secret" and talks about what we "must do" as Christians. It just sounded a bit overly "fundamentalist" to me. A tad legalistic. I don't know. Read it for yourself and see what you think. It's hard to "rate" a book with stars when it's non-fiction AND when it's truth about God. I mean, the book is excellently written. But, because of the last chapter, I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 5.

Overall, I was really blessed by the thoughts presented.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knowledge of the Holy.

08/27/2009 page 74
63.25% "Excellent so far. These are short little chapters, each focusing on a different attribute of God written in Tozer's typical profundity."