Dina's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Feb 18, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy
Read from August 11 to 12, 2010

Photobucket

This isn't a review, it's a rant and it's full of spoilers. There are plenty of reviews of this book all around and I don't feel like writing another one. BUT I do need to get this anger off my chest, so here I go...

First off, let me say that I was warned about the crappy ending of this book beforehand. I wasn't thrilled about it, but I was willing to give Ms. Ward the chance to prove me that she had pulled it off in a satisfying way when all was said and done. Well, she didn't... at least, not where I'm concerned. Yeah, I know this is PNR and a ghost shouldn't be that strange in this scenario, but the oops-I-didn't-see-you-and-I-stepped-through-you freaked me out. Maybe I could have gone along with that if I didn't care much for Jane, but I liked her and felt that she got the shaft. What was wrong with Ms. Ward? The 1st time she gave us a BDB heroine with a spine, she kills her in the end! Not only that, she takes her spine off first, turns her into a clingy mess, then kills her. :( Is Ms. Ward so jealous of her Brothers that she had to smash the competition? I don't care that Jane and V were more than happy with her "fate" as it was, because I didn't buy it. The whole thing felt more like settling than a true HEA.

In my mind, V and Jane's romance was doomed from the start. As the story opened, he was still pretty much in love with Butch and jealous of the other man's shellan Marissa, so it was a shock to see how fast he fell for Jane. In fact, "fast" doesn't begin to describe it. I was glad to see him getting over Butch, because the last thing I wanted was to watch V pining over Butch over and over again like he did in Lover Revealed, but I didn't like the way Ward handled that. As for V's sexual kinkiness, I admit I was leery of it after reading the previous book because I'm not into BDSM. Once again, Ward gave V an instant character change and V's alleged Dom nature fell apart in Jane's hands. I admit I didn't miss seeing V in full Dom behavior since that isn't my cuppa, but I have to say that Ward failed to deliver what she'd hinted in the previous books.

May I rant about the other characters too? Oh boy, where to start?...

The Scribe Virgin - I loathe the ground air she floats in. I'd better stop here.

Phury - I still don't like him very much - his depression is, well, depressing - but I'm starting to feel sorry for him. Sorry, not pity. He's constantly "abused" by his Brothers, IMHO. He gives and gives and gives, then gives some more - and no one reaches a hand to help him. They know he loves Z's shellan Bella, but do they care? No. Z and Bella keep haunting him, asking him to help them go through some bumps in their "marriage" (I forgot what Ward calls it) without thinking how hurtful that must be to poor Phury. No wonder he turns into drugs for relief, which is another example of how little his Brothers care about him. They just sit back and let him sink deeper and deeper. There's no intervention, no tough love, nada.

Cormia - I'm on the fence about her. She's too innocent, frail and submissive, which can be explained by her being a Chosen but is still annoying. She reminds me of Marissa in her spineless days before she mated with Butch and that isn't a good thing, but who knows, Ward can give her a character change in the next book.

JM - What's happening to him? I'm not sure I like him posttrans and I definitely don't like him with Xhex because they don't fit, IMHO. I do like the Darius' connection, though. Will we ever find out what ties them together?

Qhuinn & Blaylock - JM's buddies' sole purpose in the story is to protect JM - at least, so far. Qhuinn's a manwhore and I'm sorry he can't catch any STD. Blaylock is sweet and I really hope he can find someone else to love. A gay man, if you please. Do you hear me, Ward?

Tohr - Where is he??? Isn't it time he came back yet?

As for the overal story, this book had good and bad parts. What I liked the most was the total absence of the Omega, whatever recruiter he had in charge at the moment and the mandatory new lesser-in-training. Sure, there were lessers around doing their nasty thing just to keep the Brothers busy and set the stage for the unfortunate HEA, but their scenes were more "connected" to the story this time. They had a purpose. In the previous books, every fight scene seemed the same and it only served to show how invincible the Brothers were. That isn't so true anymore, and that was good.

I also liked the development of the overall story arc - some surprises there! - even though Ward could have given V a better mother. I felt sorry for V, but that was an interesting twist in the story. And to think that his mother didn't content herself with playing havoc with his life... *shudders*

So, am I going to keep reading this series? As of now, no, but I might change my mind in the future. I do want to read Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

08/11/2010 page 1
0.0% "I'm finally back to the BDB world, after a loooooong intermission. I have to say that I'm not too excited - I already know the crappy ending - but Ms. Ward may change my mind. Stranger things have happened. :)"
08/11/2010 page 21
4.0% "It's been so long since I read the last BDB book that I have to reread the Glossay to jolt my memory, LOL." 1 comment
08/11/2010 page 64
13.0% "Wow, this is a surprise. How come no one has given me this spoiler?" 9 comments
08/11/2010 page 162
32.0% "V is a very confused guy... I really like Jane and I'm already getting mad at what I know awaits her in the end. Why, Ward, why???" 6 comments
08/11/2010 page 235
46.0% "So, V and Butch had "the talk" - finally! It was so strange and PC. I didn't feel it, true?" 6 comments
08/12/2010 page 286
56.0% "Yes, baby! Yes! ;)"
08/12/2010 page 390
77.0% "Would someone kill the Scribe Virgin, please?" 9 comments
08/12/2010 page 509
100.0% "I'm sooooo glad I knew the ending beforehand! If this crap had caught me by surprise, I'd be feeling murderous now. :-/" 26 comments

MelissaB Well, I can't wait to see what you think! I love V and there are some hot scenes! But I still want a different ending. Except for that, I love the book.

Dina Melissa, I see that you gave it 5 stars. That's promising, as my ratings are usually similar to yours. Sometimes I'm 1 star up, sometimes I'm 1 star down, but we don't tend to disagree more than that. We shall see if this is the book that will break the pattern...

Julianna Oooo, you're back to the BDB. Like MelissaB, I looooove me some V.;-) Jane is one of my favorite heroines too and I didn't mind the ending, but I think I may be in the minority on both those counts. Hope you enjoy it, Dina.:-)

Bookwatcher I was disappointed with V's story. Could give more than 1 star. I hope you enjoy it! It's the only book of the BDB serie I gave 1 star.

Dina Wow, Bookwatcher, 1 star is baaaaaad! I'm afraid, LOL.

message 6: by Bookwatcher (last edited Aug 11, 2010 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bookwatcher Yeah... I hate what he became... I can say a thing, or will spoil your book, but reading the 1,2, 3 and 4 I was certain that he was gay... so I hate his story (don't convince me J.R Ward explanation) and in my view she get a lot of complain after that... it's not a coincidence that later on the serie there will be M/M on BDB (in my view a lot of angry fans write to her after this book... a gay guy that change his idea and get a lady? Come on!!!). BUT I'm only guessing, and I hope you like it... me? No, hate it, and gave 1 star.

Dina Reading books #1 to #4, I was sure V was gay and in love with Butch, but I know V's (happily?) paired with a woman in this book so I can only think Ward got second thoughts about that and decided to change it. I wasn't anxious to read about V pining over Butch - I got enough of that from Phury's obsession with Bella, ugh - so I think I'll be happy to see him getting over Butch. I've yet to see if Jane was the way to go for him.

message 8: by Bookwatcher (last edited Aug 11, 2010 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bookwatcher Well, I can say that.. but I love what happen to her at the end hahahahaha (malefic laugh) you will get it reading what happens (I can't say, or will really spoil the story).
I really hate this BDB couple... seriously... was hard to believe on V falling in love with her... sorry, but (I insist, it's my personal opinion) this couple was not convincing.

Eastofoz Ouch! Dina what happened?

message 10: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Thanks, Zosia. :)

Forewarned isn't always forearmed. I knew about the crappy ending, but that didn't prevent me from getting mad. From what I've heard, Lover Enshrined is even worse. :(

message 11: by Bookwatcher (last edited Aug 12, 2010 08:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Bookwatcher You are generous... 2 stars is better than my judgement... I told you, I couldn't give more than 1.
Lame couple, lame end... I enjoy her death (hahahaha). Kidding, BUt to be honest I was mad, so to me both of them could die.... a wonderful character like V wasted in this book made me give 1 star...

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina I didn't hate the whole book, so it was better than 1 star to me. :)

Eastofoz He should've ended up with Butch but then there was Marisa (eesh--worst BDB heroine ever *gag gag*) but I still liked the book.

message 14: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina I thought V and Butch belonged together before I read Lover Revealed, but Ward convinced me that Butch was Marissa's in that book. I was expecting to see Ward do the same here and convince me that V was Jane's, but that didn't happen. :(

Auntee Great rant, Dina. I never felt that Butch felt as strongly about V as V felt about Butch, so the lack of that pairing didn't surprise me. I'm in the minority, because I liked this book. I would've preferred a different fate for Jane, but who knows, maybe she can 'fix it' in the future?

You can't stop this series now! You have to read Rehvenge's book!

Eastofoz I didn't think Butch felt as strongly for V either but he could've "tried him out" so to speak :p I hated Marissa (gee did I mention that already--lol!) I thought Jane was good pairing for V though.

Quinn Dina, I'm with Auntee, Lover Avenged is definitely worth not giving up the series (once you have calmed down of course ;) )

message 18: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user Oh, I was about to say, now you can get on to the good stuff after all your troubles, but I forgot Enshrined was #6... Read it for JM and his crew, LOL. Forget about the rest.

message 19: by MelissaB (last edited Aug 13, 2010 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Lover Enshrined is tied with Lover Mine for my least favorite books. Phury just annoyed the crap out of me and there was no romance between him and Cormia.

BUT - Lover Avenged is great! So you would miss out on that.

Great review Dina! The funny thing is, I agree with a lot of what you are saying but I still love the book except for the ending (it does feel like they are "settling" for the best they can have at that point rather than having an HEA they deserve, especially V after all he went through. I also think she coped out on V's Dom nature, I wanted to see more of that. I neve thought he should be with Butch because Butch didn't feel the same way about him.

message 20: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Oh boy, you gals really want me to keep reading this series, don't you? Like I said, I don't feel like doing it at the moment, but tomorrow is another day. :P

Melissa, I've already read Lover Awakened. You meant to say Lover Avenged, didn't you? ;)

MelissaB Dina wrote: "Oh boy, you gals really want me to keep reading this series, don't you? Like I said, I don't feel like doing it at the moment, but tomorrow is another day. :P

Melissa, I've already read [book:Love..."

Yes, thanks. My brain works at 50% in the morning.

message 22: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Okay, let me ask for a Lover Enshrined spoiler: does Tohr come back in that book? Please, say yes! :)

MelissaB He comes back. Not sure when though. He is a mess at first but he slowly makes his way back to the land of the living.

message 24: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Melissa, you're just teasing me, aren't you? You want me to read LEn and find that out for myself, LOL.

MelissaB Haha. You do what you want :)

Auntee Dina wrote: "Melissa, you're just teasing me, aren't you? You want me to read LEn and find that out for myself, LOL."

You're holding out for Tohr? As Ward always says, "keep reading..."

message 27: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Yes, I want Tohr back!!! And Ward had better "resurrect" Wellsie, because I don't want to see him with anyone else.

message 28: by Auntee (last edited Aug 13, 2010 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee I want him back too, but I don't think we'll see poor Wellsie again...:(
It would be hard to see him with anyone else...maybe she'll be reincarnated, a la Darius?

message 29: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Awesome Rant Dina, Sad to say, I have all the BDB series on my TBR, but just haven't felt like putting myself through the torture of going through the crappy/high drama/PO'd parts books in the series.

MelissaB I think it was stated at some point that Wellsie would stay with their child in the Fade.

message 31: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina MelissaB wrote: "I think it was stated at some point that Wellsie would stay with their child in the Fade."

Noooooooo! :(

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater Awesome review, Dina! I can totally understand you not wanting to get back into BDB anytime soon. I finally reached my breaking point after Lover Mine. Ward's excessive made-up slang (like fidiot) & reading ad naseaum about John signing to all his buddies "Fuck that shit, homes! I SO am a man!", not to mention other things, I'm done. Great rantview, & thanks for sharing.

message 33: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Rane wrote: "Awesome Rant Dina, Sad to say, I have all the BDB series on my TBR, but just haven't felt like putting myself through the torture of going through the crappy/high drama/PO'd parts books in the series."

Thanks, Rane. Start reading! If I have to suffer, so do you. ;)

message 34: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina ♠LethalLovely~HBBIC♠ wrote: "Awesome review, Dina! I can totally understand you not wanting to get back into BDB anytime soon. I finally reached my breaking point after Lover Mine. Ward's excessive made-up slang..."

Thanks, LL. You say you're done with it now, but I bet you'll be reading the next book, LOL.

message 35: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane wrote: "Awesome Rant Dina, Sad to say, I have all the BDB series on my TBR, but just haven't felt like putting myself through the torture of going through the crappy/high drama/PO'd parts book..."

LOL!

LethalLovely~Let Me Hold Both Your Hands in the Holes of My Sweater I SO am done! Like seriously, SO done! I'm gonna wiki the next book & maybe...maybe if Wellsie comes back or they pair Tohr with Payne, I'll read it.

southpaw285 Wow, Dina. Great review...ur rant, I mean. You have some very valid points. This one just didn't live up to what we've come to expect from Ward.

message 38: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Thanks, southpaw. At this point, I don't know what to expect from Ward anymore. I like being surprised, but she does it the "wrong" way, LOL.

message 39: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb I'm a huge fan of V and am one of those few not bothered by the ending. I guess because Jane and V were OK with it. And Jane is still a strong character later in the series, what happened doesn't diminish that. I liked the idea of Butch and V, but as has been said, Butch didn't have the same feelings as V so I don't think it would have worked. Although I wasn't happy with Phury's book, Rehv's and JM's book are worth sticking it out for. Those were very good, and Tohr makes a comeback, and his backstory is riveting.

message 40: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Deb wrote: "... and Tohr makes a comeback, and his backstory is riveting."

Oh Deb, you had to say that, didn't you? I love Tohr... Well, I did until Ward decided to ruin his life. I don't know if I'll still love him when he comes back.

Lilian I totally agree with your review, Dina. I was liking BDB so much and LU totally killed my willing to go on with this series. That ending - and so many other things - just don't fit. I'd like to read Father Mine too, but I'm not sure if I can stand with Jane Casper.

message 42: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Lilian, I haven't read any BDB book after this one. Have you?

Lilian Nope. And I don't know if I will. What about you? Do you think about go back to BDB in the future?

message 44: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Lover Avenged is supposed to be very good, so I'm curious about it. But I'll have to endure Phury's book first and I don't know if I can't stand it.

Lilian Same here, Dina, same here. I was wondering if I'll buy this book or not. OH WAIT! Are you Brazilian too? LOL

message 46: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Não acredito, Lilian! Sou de São Paulo, estamos bem perto uma da outra, rsrsrs...

Lilian Hahahaha e a gente conversando em inglês o tempo todo. Que coisa! Pra mim vc tava láááá do outro lado do mundo. :P

message 48: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina É raro encontrar brasileiros aqui no GR, então a gente nunca imagina que está falando com um conterrâneo. Reparei que você é nova no site. Como você o descobriu?

Lilian Ah, eu tenho um blog sobre livros e conheci através dele uma galerinha que lê bastante em inglês (tudo brasileiro), e me indicaram. Resolvi fuçar, rs. Eu uso mais o Skoob, então ainda estou pegando o jeito daqui.

message 50: by Dina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dina Legal! Qual é o endereço do seu blog?

« previous 1