Cassie's Reviews > Emmaline and the Bunny

Emmaline and the Bunny by Katherine Hannigan

200876
Aug 27, 09

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, individuality, loneliness
Read in August, 2009

I had the need to read something out of my comfort zone; lately I've been into watching cheesy horror movies and reading dark vampire stories. I needed something light! AND I really needed to catch up on my children's fiction reading. Well, you can't get more light that fuzzy bunnies, can you? Emmaline and the Bunny sounded as far from Jason and Michael Myers as I could get, and boy was I right! It was like slipping a vampire some O neg when they were expecting a vial of holy water. Alright, I wasn't expecting a horrible book (I loved Ida B.), but from the cover I knew it was going to be sticky sweet and I simply haven't been in the mood for sweet mostly.

What I did not expect, was to be pulled into Emmaline's world from the first chapter. She is a very lonely, somewhat messy, girl who lives on Shipshape St. in the town of Neatasapin. She wants to run and play and have fun; and she wants a bunny so she won't be lonely anymore. Katherine Hannigan's use of voice, turns of phrase, and language give this story such a unique quality you can't help reading simply to hear more. Would be a fun and tender read aloud, or give to your older children (or adult friends!) to read on their own.

"Bunny," Emmaline asked, patting the spot beside her, "want to sit here?"

The bunny hopped three times and was with her. It leaned against her leg. It was soft like tickles and bedtime hugs.

"Bunny," said Emmaline, "with you I am not lonely."

The bunny wiggled it's white tail, "No More Only."

"Hoppadinglelaladee," Emmaline told it. And all the best words together couldn't hold the happiness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emmaline and the Bunny.