Lindi's Reviews > Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: fairy-tale-retelling, indy-girl, favorite, preteen-boys, preteen-girls, cultural-competency
Read in October, 2009

A new favorite! For me the value of reading is in the story -- stories help us make sense of the world, which is why I am not concerned when a child is not an avid reader. There are lots of ways to get stories, and in fact, stories in books are relatively new in human history. We continue to receive stories in many diverse ways: storytelling, jokes, music, art and movies, for starters.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is all about the Story. Minli's father tells stories but her mother cannot see the value in them. When Minli leaves home to find out how she can change her family's fortunes, the stories she tells, hears, and remembers inform every choice she makes.

As befits a book about the threads of fate, the stories wind around each other and in the end connect in surprising and pleasing ways. Minli is a kind and resourceful young girl and, as eager as I was to find out what happened, I really didn't want to stop reading about her adventures. I had to finish the book at work an hour ago! (In my defense I do work in a school library, and I really ought to know the literature, don't you know.) And in that hour I've talked the book up to a mom, at least five 4th and 5th grade girls, and two librarians, as well as writing this review. In other words, read this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.