Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

Sarah (Barmy for Books) Hi Shannon. I'm not sure how long ago you read this book, but if you remember, I would be interested in why you didn't enjoy it.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) It was, ah, six, seven years ago, when I was living in Japan. I honestly couldn't give any details, it's been too long. There were definitely things I liked about it but overall I found it a real slog. It just didn't speak to me; I felt like I'd blundered somewhere where I wasn't welcome. *shrug* I might like it better now but I don't know that I'll ever re-read it. I saw the movie too and didn't care for it either. I'm just not a big Mars person. (It was Mars wasn't it? See how bad my memory is!)

Deodand LOL you'd better go back and read it! Please don't judge the book by the movie. If you want to see a better screen adaptation see the 2000 version, which is much more faithful.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Oh to be fair I don't think I did. I think I read the book first. I preferred the book, to be honest. Even thinking back on it now, much as I didn't like the book, I've definitely rated it too low. I wouldn't go much by my star ratings though. I hate rating books! It can never capture all the complexities of your reading experience.